*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I agree that removing ram slots is terrible and is an instant no-buy for me.

But you might be surprised on how many people know Alienware. I know even non gamer people who know the brand. Also they have actual Alienware shops in Asia.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  2. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Was gonna get an Alienware 51m, but really wanted an OLED display (loved my 13). Was then gonna wait for the new m15 R2 with OLED but Alienware seems to be dragging their feet, so got a Dell Outlet m15 with 2080 Max-Q, i7-8750 and OLED display. Came with 16GB RAM and only a mechanical drive, so swapped in 32GB, a 2TB SSD and 2xNVME 2TB SSDs (6TB). Will need to do a repaste at some point. Getting 17500 Firestrike makes me pretty happy (same score as my Aorus x9 with SLI now up for sale BTW). I figured the m15 R2 with a 2080 and OLED would be near $3000 so to get this one for $1900 was too good to pass up.

Kalen, etern4l and c69k like this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Nice one, great price. Which TIM are you planning to use?

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Is welded on Wifi cards any better? You can of course upgrade or replace a failed one if you go for Wi-Fi USB Adapter. But not all like a huge thingy sticking out from the laptop side.

Vasudev, etern4l and c69k like this.
  5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Also not, It barely saves space in a chassis and it is total crap when you are stuck with a wifi card that doesnt play nice with a router. Imagine those Killer networking cards soldered onto your motherboard....I already cringe from the thought of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
    Vasudev, c69k and Rei Fukai like this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Fortunately he got an R1 from the outlet.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  7. johnnobts

johnnobts Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some grizzly thermal paste, already did it. Getting 5 degrees cooler on average, undervolting around 140

etern4l likes this.
  8. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    I hope one of you can help me figure out what is draining my battery, I have the 8750H with a 4k IPS and the 90whr battery, and I'm only getting about 2.5hrs of battery. I know i shouldnt expect a lot with the 4k display but this is a little too low I think. Even my XPS 15 with the 4k IPS and 97whr battery was averaging around 8hrs with zero tweaks on battery saver and min brightness. I have it at minimum brightness, battery saver on, quiet thermal profile and balanced power profile on AWCC, no alien fx except for keyboard backlight at 5/100 brightness. CPU undervolted to -0.125, speed shift at 180, turbo boost disabled. There are no apps running except for chrome with a few tabs and one video on youtube that is paused, throttlestop and HWInfo(for the purpose of the screenshot I had to take). My battery is draining by 24-27W on avg, maximum of 33W. Here are some screenshots to give you an idea of CPU utilization and battery discharge rate -

EDIT : Forgot to add that my fans spin at 53% a lot of the time, even though the cpu utilization sits under 5% and the CPU package power averages at 4.xxW with a maximum of <10W

Annotation 2019-06-22 004839.png

Annotation 2019-06-22 004607.png

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    etern4l likes this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A well presented case!

I found Afterburner to be a major silent battery killer, I've got it configured to turn off on battery now. Don't discount Chrome - what about if you turn it off, play around with acceleration settings.
    Go through balanced mode battery settings, and in Power Settings, and switch everything to max battery saving settings.
    Any USB devices? My cooling pad takes a few W.
    HTH

Vasudev and hawk1410 like this.
  10. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    Yep I noticed that both Afterburner and AWCC cause the Nvidia GPU to turn itself on affecting battery life(I'm guessing its a thing with monitoring software in general). I've made sure that they're both not running. I know chrome is a battery hog but a discharge rate of 27W seems excessive despite that. Right now after another hour the battery is at 19.3%, HWinfo is stil on and monitoring, its been discharging at an average of 27.7W and a max of 47.8W(its been logging for an hour now compared to 2.5minutes for the screenshot). CPU package power averages at 3.5W, max of 11.753W. For comparison I opened the same chrome tabs and youtube video on my XPS 15(also with a 4k IPS) and here are the relevant screenshots - Annotation 2019-06-22 020358.png Annotation 2019-06-22 020530.png

CPU package power is also similar on the XPS. The biggest difference is despite higher temps for the CPU on the XPS(no undervolt or any kind of tweaks) the fans are not on right now. Whereas on the m15 they've been on 50% the entire time. I think the fans might be related to the bios issue post 1.6.1 thats been discussed on here(mine came with 1.6.1 out of the box) but doubt the fans are the sole cause of the battery draining at a 2.5x higher rate. I know i could tweak other stuff you mentioned to help with battery life but in an ideal situation the m15 should be discharging at a similar rate to the XPS since they're effectively running the same hardware thanks to Optimus taking the dGPU out of the equation, they're both driving the same number pixels with the same processor and iGPU. I'm all out of ideas at the moment and my next step is to do clean install of Win 10 and if that doesn't fix things I'm gonna have to give Dell a call.

c69k likes this.