*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. 944S2

944S2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Based on my "refurbished" warranty replacement, they just took a return, powered it on, and did a visual inspection.

Atrocious backlight bleed, loose fan, and awful thermals indicated as much.

Never thought I'd be upset with an "upgrade". Honestly though, my 7577 was a refurb and looking back it was fantastic. Just make sure you test out the unit you receive and you should be fine.

etern4l likes this.
  2. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've just ordered a 9750 + OLED + RTX 2060. I had to get the 9750 as there was no option to get the 8750H with the OLED screen. I'm upgrading from a 13R3 with OLED and GTX 1060, so I expect a noticeable improvement, but the main reason is to go up to 15" and having the extra SSD slot, the two NVME are limiting me to 4TB and I want more! :D I have a AGA with the 1080 Ti, so let's see how much can I get from the 9750 with the cooling system taking care only of it.

I'll repaste it and adjust the pads, any issues with the PCH? It was a thing for the 13R3 (I had to do the mod suggested here to get it from ~90C to ~65C).

etern4l likes this.
  3. Quikj

Quikj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I carry my m15 to and from the office everyday. Most days, I ride my bike to work and the m15 in my backpack is anything but a burden, even with the power brick.

mnd99, Flying Endeavor and etern4l like this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Congrats. No issues with the PCH, runs at 40-75C.

OK, quiet mode actually throttles quite a bit. Back to balanced mode. The CPU fan is still almost always on in Quiet mode, the only thing it changes vs Balanced is it turns off the system fan much quicker, it's mostly off under light load.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
  5. dave-p

dave-p Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hello All

Just ordered a m15 specs in my Sig.

how many pins does SODIMM have ?

want to get a 16 - 32 GB set, any any recommendations for brand of memory ?

etern4l likes this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Congrats.

Intriguing question, 260 apparently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SO-DIMM

If you queried about the upgrade to 32GB before ordering, I would have recommended just getting the minimum amount of memory from Dell (8GB), and buying a 32GB kit as per my sig. With 16GB already ordered you are probably best off doing the same, except you paid more unnecessarily. Unless you got 1x16GB and want to keep it, in which case you'll have to buy a matching 16GB stick.

dave-p likes this.
  7. mnd99

mnd99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for your feedback. That's cool to hear.

What's PCH? Is it some sort of mod that makes temps way way down like that?

8. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  9. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Exactly. The fact of the matter is, a laptops lifespan is on average 3 years. Most of us on these forums and in the enthusiast community, likely end up getting rid of the laptop within 3 years, as after that point, it usually becomes pretty outdated (especially for gaming). Or the laptop just becomes a beater for non-gaming related tasks. Within those 3 years, i think maybe a handful would bother to even upgrade RAM. The reality is not many of us would see a material difference from upgrading RAM beyond the 16 GB in the 3 years.

I dont see the soldered RAM as a big issue. Obviously not having it soldered is better, but doesnt seem like as big of a deal to me.

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Again, I doubt any of us here have better information about the Alienware user population that what can be gleaned from these forums. Most ordinary PC users haven't even heard about Alienware. On NBR, it seems you are in a small minority. Most people here can see that not being able to upgrade memory to fast 32GB or even 64GB when 32GB modules become more widely available is a straight up downside. An aftermarket 32GB is a very affordable and worthwhile upgrade, if nothing else it increases system performance through caching, and a low latency memory, such as HyperX Impact, further improves performance as my benchmarking results hopefully indicate.

Dell took this upgrade option away while giving nothing in return that the competition wouldn't already offer. While I'm not a fan of the size race to the bottom, even Razer offers 2 SODiMM slots, officially supporting up to 64GB RAM, in a smaller chassis.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019