*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I will check the custom fans later. In general I've found them to be useless anyway. The fans don't follow the curve exactly and the two point control is not accurate enough.

I don't think it's quite "no idle", it will idle once the temps fall under approx 33-35C.

I've heard this "working as designed" tune before, short Turbo Boost no longer works after sleep as designed too.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. 944S2

944S2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I mean..... it's essentially no idle when I've had two different M15s that never get close to 35C without having fans 100%. Honestly, one of the reasons I went with the M15 was that it was somewhat quiet on idle, and that AWCC offered some level of fan control, unlike the Inspirion 7577 that I replaced. At least that didn't thermal throttle. Jokes on me, I get to use it this week while I get yet another heatsink replaced. I went with the depot this time in the hope it gets lost, or they break it so I can just swap for a desktop, I'm really tired of the M15.

Papusan likes this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Why all the heatsink replacements? You've undervolted and repasted the laptop already, right?

4. 944S2

944S2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yup, first system needed a new left speaker and they agreed to replace the heatsink while the tech was out since I had high temp differences across cores after more than one repaste. That one was okay after a repaste/undervolt. After three weeks waiting.... parts were out of stock, so they sent me a refurb unit, with a 1TB SSD, 32GB, and the bigger battery. Fine by me, not going to complain.

The current one shows up and it is noticeably worse. Way worse backlight bleed, and the undervolt did nothing.

I was busy and didn't think much of it, or try to repaste. Few days later I noticed that whenever you move the system the fan rubs on the chassis. Even when its on a desk you can hear a whistling near the GPU fan. Sometimes the grinding is so bad you can hear it in the other room. Anyway, I took a few videos and call up to get the heatsink replaced. After diagnosis the tech offers to just do an exchange since it was within 30 days of me receiving it. Turns out they couldn't do that after I chatted with the, rather rude, gentleman over there. He transferred me back and the second tech didn't want to fix the heatsink even though there's clearly an issue with the fan. Apparently 104C during BFV wasn't hot enough either.

Eventually he agreed to send the tech out to replace it. That goes fine, guy did as a good job as I would have done. As he's removing the heatsink one of the CPU screws literally falls apart as he's removing it. You can also see the mark from where the fan has been hitting on the chassis. New heatsink goes in, temps were better, no grinding noise, figured I was in the clear.

12 hours later the grinding came back.... I have access to a lot of these machines, and it's not normal. I love the design of the M15, and the AGA, but the execution leaves a bit to be desired.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    etern4l likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear. Execution is not great and design is going downhill too. My first Alienware laptop came with a wrong GPU, the second one came with a faulty GPU, and as it stands there won't be a third one!

6. mnd99

mnd99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To the Alienware M15 owners,

How portable is the M15? Anyone carrying this back and forth to work?

7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    VERY portable and light! It is as portable as the Dell XPS 15 but packs so much more power under the hood.

mnd99, Flying Endeavor and etern4l like this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I used to carry AW 15 without an issue, and m15 is indeed noticeably thinner and lighter. Beware of the new R2 model though with its smaller battery, soldered/limited likely slow RAM, soldered WiFi card and inverted motherboard.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    mnd99 likes this.
  9. pulver22

pulver22 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys which sw do you suggest for controlling the CPU? I am currently using TS but it seems to be a bit tricky for limiting the TDP. On the other hand, XTU looks simpler for tuning but you cannot limit the max freq. Is it possible to use both at the same time or do I need to choose one of the two?

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I hate XTU, it's bloated and doesn't handle battery mode out of the box. It works seamlessly in conjunction with TS though as long as you use mutually exclusive controls, so XTU for TDP and TS for everything else.

CptXabaras likes this.