*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. TherosFear

TherosFear Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If i try liquid metal on my M15 R1, i would see any improvement? Right now i have replaced my thermal pads and paste (IC Graphite for even temps with -140mV undervolt). I know that Conductonaut is really nice (i saw improvements with my previous 17 R4), but with this model (i want to keep it for 2 years at least before upgrade) i dont know if is worth with this heatsink design.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Paltry as the m15's cooling solution is compared to larger laptops, it is good enough for people to realise a significant benefit in terms of temps, as per @Ultra Male or @CptXabaras 's results. Need an unlocked CPU to fully translate this to performance improvement though as 8750H just gets maxed out at low temps.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, you will get lower temps and you will be able to run the 8750H at max power. In my case, -160mV UV, the perf difference wouldn't be that great (3.7GHz@56W with Kryonaut vs potentially 3.9GHz at 62W with LM in CB20). You would get a bit more mileage because of the slightly weaker undervolt.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  4. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Good catch Etern4l, you are right, here's a screenshot of another CB20 run, max Cpu Package Power during the test is indeed 63W.
    (is there a way to use the snipping tool without loosing the position of the mouse over the tread in XTU? had to do a print screen and then paste it onto paint to get the jpg :D )

[​IMG]

I do believe that i might be able to increase the score a bit once i will do a clean windows installation, right now i'm running on the one the laptop came with, when i was at home i didn't even had the time to install my 960 evo on it and do a clean win install. Still on the original 256Gb nvme ssd. I have no idea how much junk is running on background.

etern4l likes this.
  5. faenil

faenil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    100% agree, no doubt there :)

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Don't think so, but you can press Alt-PrtScn to take a snapshot of the active window without using snipping tool.

You can limit the impact of background tasks by setting the CB20 process to above normal.

CptXabaras likes this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry, missed the interesting fact: you used IC Graphite. Can you post your CB20 temps? Did you use it on the GPU as well?

c69k likes this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Quiet fan profile actually makes a difference on 1.6.2.

9. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Question for everyone here. For anyone on bios 1.6.2 do you still have the ability to set your custom fan control? Umar says the none idle fan is working as intended in the newer bios BUT they question the experience and are looking into ways to revert the change.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

10. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1.6.2 or higher and let me know of any other fan issues.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk