*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I simply reject smoke and mirrors. There is no concrete argument in terms of strength of protection against Spectre and Meltdown, nor any benchmark results confirming a significant performance advantages of the 9750H. If someone offered me an exchange for the 9750H free of charge I would pass because it's unknown whether it will undervolt as well as 8750H does.

2. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's totally fine, you'd rather have a higher undervolt over a hardware fix.
    It's completely understandable and I might agree, depending on how lucky your unit is :)

In general, I'd choose the hw fix, there is no faking the fact that the protection is implemented in hardware. Unless they are just lying, of course :D

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you look at the table of various exploits, most fixes are still software + MCU even on the latest processors, so, as @Aivxtla said, there really doesn't seem to be much to fuss over in terms of "hardware fixes". It's still the same architecture.

Based on other user's reports here (small same size obviously), I'm just slightly above average lucky at - 160mV.

4. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Indeed the HW protections do not cover all variants yet, as initially said, and more vulnerabilities will be discovered in the future, I'm sure. One just gets the best he can at that point in time.

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not sure what you mean with I mixed it up... The results if from one of his m15 with the weaker i7-8750H who performed better than the $600 Mobile i9 Scam from Intel. LM or not doesn't really matter. All I said it run colder. And for the records... He returned all of them:) None of them had good enough thermals! Here is the results from the more expencive and so called faster i9 mobile.

Of course the unlocked mobile won't perform much better in the AW m15 chassis. Dell use same heatsink for both the locked down i7-8750H and the unlocked i9-8950Hk Dell advertice with 5.0GHz overclock profile. Amazing engineering.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  6. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I meant the truth is somewhere in between, Intel’s mitigation’s aren’t a true fix due to the architecture which does result in negligible differences for the average consumer post “fix” but under certain io/virtualization enterprise conditions it can result in a decent loss in performance. At the same time not sure if the current soft fixes themselves have holes and have truly addressed the issue completely rather than “mitigate” to an extent.

I’d say as an average consumer myself it shouldn’t have too much of an effect in daily use. If you want full hard fixes you might not see them till gen coming after Sunny Cove.

etern4l likes this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah, so max 75C in CB20 wasn't good enough? LM doesn't matter at all (I thought you guys just argued LM is awesome)? OK, I doubt that was his thinking but no more questions lol

I was just making the rational assumption that he returned the spectacularly (for the chassis size) cool 8750H because he was hoping to get more performance out of the 8950HK, and to be fair he likely would have using LM.

CptXabaras likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I meant Liquid metal doesn’t matter in this sentence (why he returned the laptop). Nothing beats Liquid metal if the cooling capacity has headroom to remove more heat (The heatsink grills still not fully saturated with heat - See... can remove more with better thermal paste).

You can’t remove more heat if the cooling capacity is at the border and can’t manage the tasks. Even heatsink soldered directly on die with perfect fits wont help. Nothing is stronger than the weakest link.

If Dell’s engineers have done its job properly they had designed better cooling for the unlocked chips.

Ashtrix and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think it's funny how every post I've seen from this user is always negative about dell. It's not that he is wrong, he is right but it's funny cause Everytime my phone notifies me theres a new post from this user I know someone tried to be positive about this laptop XD

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Papusan and etern4l like this.
  10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Poopoosan is an X Alienware fanboy who has been betrayed by Mr. Azor's decision to go the BGA route and offer crippled hardware (compared to the past beastly Alienwares), thus, you will NEVER see his username in a Dell/Alienware thread with anything positive to say. Just take a look at this lovely avatar :rolleyes:.

This is the ugly truth my friend. [​IMG]