*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is very little practical difference between 8750 and 9750 anyway.

2. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Agreed. On paper it looks like it's a decent spec bump. But in practice it doesn't amount to much. With so many of these laptops power limit and thermal throttling it's a much better buy to grab a 8750h laptop at a nkce discount.

3. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In all honesty guys, I think this product refresh is in wake of the new Intel 10th gen that will be 10 nm. It will produce less heat and have more power per Watt. I'd say buy an 8th gen m15 with numpad OR wait until 10th gen with new legend design Alienware. I don't think 9th gen will be worth

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

4. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    Yeah, pretty satisfied. Did a run, increased long TB to 80W and SB at 90W with XTU, no throttle and temps are still good. I consider this 8750H hot temper tamed :) (by the way, i keep it at 45W for gaming, don't feel like more of that is needed) Still, i get this kind of core differential only in CB20. On games, the core differential is within 2 - 4 degrees °C

[​IMG]

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Still hotter than the one Ultra Male got before he returned it http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...iew-by-ultra-male.828258/page-2#post-10892840
    [​IMG]

6. CptXabaras

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    etern4l and Papusan like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, I hope so:) Because Ultra male wasn't happy with the thermals. One of the main reasons he returned it back

8. CptXabaras

Reputations:
    well, since is not overheating nor throttling, it runs every game i throw at it at max settings (the very reason why i purchased it)...even if i leave it as it is now, without trying to improve it further, i don't plan to return it or to sell it. Will see what will be available in 2 years from now, and then will see.

custom90gt, etern4l and Papusan like this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You mixed it up bro, he had 2 m15s. The thermals above are from the 8750 one with LM (still a bit unreal TBH) . He returned the second 8950HK unit which he tested stock so sure enough he wasn't happy with the thermals in CB20, the LM benchmark :D

Of course, your temps are fantastic.

Same here, I only experience significant core diff in CB20. I can live with that. One thing I can't see on your screenshot is the CPU Package power. With around -160mV UV I wouldn't expect to see more than 65W so pushing TDP above that has no effect, which is fine - as you said, running the CPU at much higher than standard TDP might not be ideal despite low temps.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2019
    CptXabaras likes this.
  10. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    there is one big difference which I care about, and that is the HW protection against most of Spectre and Meltdown variants