*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    how you interpret it is your choice, we just give you the information so you can deal with problems yourself. you talk about enthusiasm and the next minute it's about a statement so maybe you need to look at how you define things, and not how we define things.

offcoarse his statement makes far more sense, i didn't make a statement lol. i made multiple claimes that can be seen as factual one including that all laptops need LM which i stand by.

There are almost no laptops with active cooling that can hold boost clock, while a few years ago Intel wasn't even playing the games they do today (like measuring TDP on the baseclock while it used to be boost) Because all laptops nowadays Throttle (not being able to hold their boost clocks due to them becoming thinner and smaller and OEM's not investing money) LM has become mandatory if you don't want a 1.2 cm laptop that get's as hot as 100C on you lap (like how Apple does with their i9 MACBOOKS)

his statement is more conservative then my claims that i presented as facts. a statement is a whole different ballgame than multiple claims :)

Ultra Male and Vasudev like this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    FYI My i7-8750H can hold 3.7GHz out of 3.9GHz under CB20 load without LM (plus I'm not sure how great my heatsink fit is given what seems like a minor gain from Kryonaut repaste, in the region of a few C) that's why I personally have relatively little to gain by embarking on the no doubt exciting one way LM adventure.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  3. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great ! But only using your CPU and measuring your heatoutput is not the same as gaming. When gaming you're using your PCH, your SSD your GPU your CPU, so your whole motherboard gets hot because off the electric activity.

Since AW uses shared heatsinks, heat bleeds. So heat from the GPU goes to the CPU. Maybe in the first half our of gaming you'll see boostclock. But the current AW chassis are not build for sustained heat so it starts to throttle your components. With LM you're removing that bottleneck cause LM can tranfer more heat in a shorter amount of time.

When your chassis starts to get hot your system is throttling for sure.

Ultra Male likes this.
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    LOL, we are finally talking about the m15! Perhaps admins will have mercy :) The only concern is performance in CB20. CPU temps during all other activities, including graphics benchmarks and CB15 stay in the 80Cs tops, max GPU temp is 67C at 25C ambient. PCH temp is of no concern, between 40-70C, likewise the Samsung SSD. There is no thermal throttling whatsoever, sorry.

5. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Haven't mentioned the m15 cause i don't own one. Your temps seem fine but depends on which m15 you have. 3.7 out of 3.9 is not boost so you're kinda proving my point.

Your temperatures don't say much without context (which program used for determining when it throttles/if it throttles/if it was combined load/which paste etc) but those temps are mighty fine :)

Ultra Male and Darkhan like this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, I did mention CB versions. By graphics Benchmarks I mean TimeSpy and its older but less taxing DX11 cousin FireStrike.

As I'm sure you know, anything above the base clock (in this case 2.2GHz) is Turbo Boost, the difference is whether it's short or long TB. By changing TDP limits they can be made equivalent if the cooling solution supports it.

This TDP throttling is only really relevant in CPU benchmarks. In games, the power draw is nowhere near the default long TB TDP and thus the clocks are at max 3.9GHz pretty much all the time (apart from loading screens maybe when Speedshift dials them down).

Rei Fukai likes this.
  7. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    True. But i won't call 2.3/2.4 exactly turbo boost, as the two perform identical to 2.2 Ghz. i don't tune locked down chips so i don't have any information about them, but i've maxed out my turbo boost time, and TDP itself on for example my surface pro 3 and i can see it became hotter due to it being locked @2.9 Ghz but even when it crosses the throttlepoint it won't clock back but that's because i turned off all the safeties and limiters that clock the CPU down.

ubisoft for example games use Denovo DRM or AVX for the number crunching. Both will cross your TDP as they're using instruction sets within the CPU that generate heat. Alot of heat. Star Citizen, a game that's not even using AVX or Denuvo sits @an fairly comfortable 50/60 watts (when loading the game it can generate up to 75 Watt off heat) so i don't know which games you play but there are more than enough software packages that can cross the TDP easily while using it normally. But it could be that you have no need or interest in those kinda programs.

Flight Simulator X is an simultor that i play @4.5 all core due to it being very Mhz depended so FSX also generates around 65/70 watts easily. Especially when flying in dense crowded areas.

if i set my cpu 4.3 all core they'll stay 4.3 all core, except when i try to cross my TDP but that's another mather. Throttling due temperature is not the same as throttling due to a powerlimit that's been hit (for example 4.5 all core is around 90C in cinebench R20, so i have an 3/4 C before my CPU starts throttling but i still cannot go past 4.6 or bench 4.6 Ghz due to that clockspeed instantly crossing the 110 W tdp LIMIT aw imposed on the R5

Papusan and Darkhan like this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Which laptop have you got exactly? 17 R5? What CPU? My 8750H draws about 63W during short TB. With LM I might be able to keep it at that power and 3.9GHz (maybe @CptXabaras can confirm), if I was willing to routinely run the CPU that much above the rated long TB TDP. As it stands, I can run it at 56W 3.7GHz without thermal throttling and that's fine for my needs. Perhaps one day I will feel like the extra 200MHz would move the needle in practice, bearing I mind this downclocking to 3.7GHz only happens during max utilisation of all cores lasting over 28s, i. e. very rarely in practice.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Alienware 17 R5 [Cpu - i7-8590hk @4.4] - [Display - 1440 gsync] - [GTX 1080 | 1789 Mhz core - 2045 boost | Memory + 400] - [Tobii Eye tracking] - [Kingston - HyperX 8 Gb Ram] - [Raid 0 500Gb - Kingston HyperX Ssd Pcie Predator] it's all in my signature.

both short and long are set @110w when you turn on OC. when it's turned off short is @65 and long @95. The standard Intel TDP specs.
    If you don't have a need it's fine. 3.7 ain't bad that's hellaquick (i'm a tweaker and i tweak the shhhht out of all my electronics that i use) but for me personally i wouldn't be happy when i bought something and it can't be used @100% even though the price i paid was 100%.

but to each to his own, if i set a speed to stay locked, it should stay locked. There shouldn't be some c*ncer firmware that decides what happends with my laptop (while i'm the owner of the bloody machine !!). But we probably use very different software packages and have different needs. I for example cannot buy an gamelaptop/DTR with a locked down chip. Cause performance degrades over the years (like what happends with intel after al the mitigation patches have been installed) and when it degrades, i just OC my CPU or GPU a bit further down the road when the performance is needed. Apart from my GPU my CPU can last me a few years (3/4) or so, but i'm feeling that my 1080 is only going to give me joy for two more years before the games that come out cannot be played @1440P with unlocked frames.

luckily we have the option for the amplifier, but this is my first BGA laptop and i'm already tired of it (actually my R4 was the first BGA laptop i bought, but then it broke down on the last day of my warranty so Dell upgraded me to the R5)

After this, it's PGA AMD CPU in a laptop, or else i'm moving to an desktop.

etern4l likes this.
  10. 944S2

944S2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone who doesn't want to get stuck on BIOS 1.6.2 make sure you don't update to win 1903, it's now auto installing the firmware on every reboot. Sitting at 60% fans on battery with temps in the low 40s. The new BIOSes are absolutely atrocious.