*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Kind of the big reason I never tried liquid metal. Not knowing if there was any long term risks to the heat sink. Glad to see more evidence that it isn't going do much more than stain the heatsink or affect its cooling. Might have to give it a try myself finally.

Darkhan and Papusan like this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great idea, again. Do let us know how any warranty repairs go afterwards.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    No need being sarcastic brother. Doesn't fit in here. You know there are different skill levels on people/workers? You think all employees out there are equal good in their works, as well in the same company? You think every single heatsink is produced equal and come in perfect shape and form from the factory. See... No differences in tolerance level. All is created equal and perfect. Oh well. I think I stop here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    Ashtrix, Vasudev and Darkhan like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Even most boutique brand's LM application can go haywire during shipping. I'd recommend LM if the heatsink has enough pressure to stay put or the user is very careful guy/gal otherwise correctly applied standard paste should perform better than badly applied LM.
    You will need to make changes to paste application which will vary from PC to PC.

etern4l likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Right. Most LM guides point out the increased risk if the laptop is used on the go, as is often the case with the m15. Even if the LM application professional is a Papusan-level artisan (never mind an amateur doing it for the first or fifth time), the laptop can be subjected to a shock, such as a fall or knock, and the dam may fail that way or for any other reason. Sure, the risk can be minimised but not eliminated. Can't really go around physics.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  6. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    LM will always have inherent risks. They can be mitigated with proper technique and proper precautionary steps, but there is always a risk. For some people, it's worth the risk. I ran my XPS 9560 with LM for a year and took it to school every day and never had an issue. However that was my choice and if it ruined the laptop, I was willing to pay the piper.

Having said that, LM in the XPS was only 2-4C better than Kryonaut, even after long term use (well ~1 year, I don't really own laptops "long term"). Because of this, I don't run LM in my laptops anymore, it's not worth it to me. If I still had my 51M and I had time to bench it for fun, I'd probably do it there since every little bit helps though...

toughasnails and etern4l like this.
  7. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    As a LM user my self, i'm aware that the risk is minimized and not completely absent. For that very reason i wouldn't personally let anyone do it on any of my machines, other than my self, since it is the only way i can be sure of how it has been applied, how the preventive measure the avoid or minimize disaster have been implemented.

Regarding the stain it leaves... well there are different theories on the matter. By my personal experience, after second application on an already "stained" heatsink, heat transfer does actually improve a little bit and the stain do not get worst over time. But i repeat, that's just my experience. YMMV.

Do i recommend it to other user? well, yes only if you are fully aware that there is still, even if remotely, a possibility of something going wrong, especially if you move the laptop aroud a lot, and if said user is willing to assume the full responsibility of it, like a nice grown up man. And i do move mine on a daily basis.

Ambient temp give or takes is around 23 - 24 °C . I've run the test from inside my site office, i'm in the middle of the desert and there are >44 °C outside, AC is working hard to keep inside temperatures low.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's just about weighing up cost/risk vs benefit, which nice grown up men and women should be better at. In most scenarios even my amateurish Kryonaut application is absolutely fine. In lesser benchmarks such as CB15 or TimeSpy the CPU stays in the 80Cs, games don't even deserve a mention, and I don't need to run CB20-level extreme CPU loads on extended basis, therefore I don't see any point in assuming the LM risk essentially for no benefit other than temp bragging rights and perhaps slightly extended CPU longevity which is of no concern to begin with.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  9. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    And you care what happens to my stuff why?

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Knowing what would happen to your stuff would be very helpful for the entire community.