*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I am so confused by Dell's website right now. So I guess that the m15 / m17 R1 are getting 9th Gen processors? There is a bios update available for it and a configuration available with the 9750H. Very bizarre given the R2 announcement...

2. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You are correct. The current m15 R1 will be getting 9th gen processors. You can actually order them right now on the the Dell.com site.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gam...re-m15/spd/alienware-m15-laptop/wnorn5chm155h

Note that these new 9th gen processors might not give much of an improvement in performance.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/That-...tperform-a-Core-i7-9750H-laptop.421361.0.html

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  3. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looks like my keyboard backlight problem has been resolved with a simple uninstall and then clean reinstall of the AWCC, and my other issues seems to have been fixed with the latest BIOS update from DELL. However, I am still running into some thermal issues.... or at least I think I am.. I have undervolted my CPU by 125mV and I placed a maximum boost limit of 3.5 GHZ, and played the entire Tirailleur Campaign of BF5, my CPU Temperature was 95 Degrees Celsius... Current ambient temperature is 29 Degrees Celsius.. sigh.. the thermals... >.> Perhaps I should limit the boost to only 3.4GHZ... and to think my unit was already modified with LM... >.>

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Don't you use cooling pad or a stand?

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Glad to hear that BIOS update did the trick.

Your ambient temps are high-ish, but your gaming temps are crazy especially given this is the larger m17? Didn't HIDrevolution repaste it for you? Ah, you said they apply LM. Something is wrong IMHO. If you want to compare with my temps at 25C install free Shadow of the Tomb Raider demo from Steam and run the benchmark on max settings.

What @Vasudev said, but if you want to force the CPU temp down, don't touch frequencies: install XTU and modify just the long and short turbo Boost power limits. I'm assuming you have undervolted as much as possible already.

6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I think TS is super light and yeah 95C on LM means something is wrong.

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    TS power limit controls don't work for me.

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Copy RWEverything driver to TS and all is good. You can kill the power limits and increase IccMax to Max value to prevent throttling.

Wilhelm_SI and etern4l like this.
  9. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah hence why my added concern for my unit. I do have throttlestop installed and I would see if I could Undervolt even further... Sigh.. I am constantly plagued with bad luck it seems. I placed my order for the M17 with an RTX2060 back when DELL only shipped it with a 180W Power Brick... a couple of weeks later, DELL announced they would now ship all the M17 models with the 240W one, unfortunately it was too late for me and mine shipped to HIDevolution with the 180W one, oh wells.. spent a bit more to grab the 240W brick. Now, I just received my M17 a week or so ago and then DELL announced a newer version of the laptop with upgraded thermals and better keyboard and whatnot... so yeah.. RIP.. Had to deal with multiple issues with my unit before I finally got it to actually behave properly.. but yeah. the thermal issues are still plaguing me. Going to try to increase my undervolt gradually.. I experienced a BSOD when I undervolted to around 150mV. Guess I am also unlucky with the silicon lottery it seems xD Oh wells.. my very first laptop is starting to become a headache.

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I'm not surprised at all. I said long time ago that this move will be the next step from Alienware. Read my older posts:) Exactly as expected!

Ashtrix, ssj92, etern4l and 1 other person like this.