*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check the 1.6.2 BIOS thread, @CptXabaras posted his neat foldable stand details there. I don't use anything on the go, it's not needed on battery, and not worth it for temporary AC power use cases (check my temp results while gaming a few pages back).

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    hawk1410 likes this.
  2. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    I travel for work and do have some extended gaming sessions while travelling. Obviously wont be gaming on battery, are temps acceptable while gaming on ac power for a couple of hours? I'm assuming those temps you posted are on ac power? Every review I've seen on this laptop has said that the temps get a little too hot while gaming, with the CPU going as high as 99C, I usually like to keep my laptop for a long time(the macbook air in my flair lasted me 8yrs, I'm not expecting this one to last as long since its a gaming laptop but at least 3 or 4 yrs would be nice), that sort of heat cant be good for the longevity. I am planning on doing a repaste as soon as I'm out of the return period, will be undervolting as soon as I get it though

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually, games are playable on battery for 2-4h after a bit of tweaking. Yes, those temps are on AC power with UV and repaste. The laptop is def hot out of the box - the price for the uncalled for miniaturisation, undervolting is mandatory. Just with that I stopped hitting 99C even in Cinebench 20. CPU runs much cooler in games. Repaste will help too, but in my case not drastically so.

4. hawk1410

hawk1410 Bird of Prey

Reputations:
    What sort of tweaks have you performed other than UV and repasting. Your temps look good and I'd be extremely satisfied with my purchase if I could get similar results

5. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Get ghetto and use two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Clips-...ement&qid=1559219224&s=amazon-devices&sr=8-21

The nubs are rubber with adhesive pads. It works great!

hawk1410 and etern4l like this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was just referring to battery life tweaks (mostly SpeedShift, power plan and Intel/Nvidia driver settings). No other temp related tweaks, quite the opposite - I push SpeedShitft to 16 on AC power. Also either the recent BIOS or, more likely, the latest Windows (which unfortunately got installed at the same time as BIOS for me) raised the temps by a few C - I saw some people in in 51m forums also being affected and claiming a clean install helps resolve this, I'm not going to bother.

7. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Without knowing what the real bottlenecks are in the new rev - e.g. thermal throttling it seems a bit early to worry about that IMHO.

I will however laugh loud if it turns out that they've soldered down really expensive ram and so you need to match it with similarly pricey DIMMs - they're always going to be able to buy RAM in bulk cheaper than the average punter can buy a DIMM or four...

8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There is no thermal throttling even on the base m15. I'm sorry to say but you need to work on your pattern recognition if you are actually expecting Dell to all of sudden put in the best possible RAM in their system.

Wake up, they've been always able to do that and yet they've been only offering subpar RAM at 250% markup to retail price.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  9. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Until someone actually gets an r2 to review this is entirely speculation!

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're worried R2 will actually suffer from worse thermals than R1 despite all the improvements they've supposedly made? There is some logic in that, I guess..