*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    While I'm inclined to believe that dual channel is indeed faster than single, I'd need to see some benchmarks run on an m15 to convince me that the system really does take advantage of lower CAS latency memory if its fitted. Testing is expensive so I would be surprised if they qualified the machine for more than the stock stuff that Dell fits...

As for price - when I bought my machine it was a £90 option to go from the base 16GB to 32GB. I couldn't have matched that anywhere at the time!

Well - he needs to have something to talk about...

My understanding is that more phases gives you smoother DC output and potentially more power (unless you've downsized the components in each phase), but probably more importantly for us makes the PSU more efficient. This matters when cooling is limited - a 90% efficient VRM burns about 16W delivering 150W but a 95% efficient one only burns about 8W.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2019
  2. Redteam

Redteam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What do you guys think - how close to 180 degrees do you reckon the lid of the M15 R2 will go back?
    Interested to know if it will be similar to the 13R3

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have to say, I was sceptical when @Vasudev suggested a strong connection, but now Azor really spent too much time comparing the two systems. Same bezels! Almost same height! So similar hehe.

Who cares Frank, you "done f..d it up" by killing the superior AW15 design, and tinkering around the edges with the VRM is not going to cut it. Smaller battery, soldered RAM.

Now now, behave yourself mate.

Not quite, but close. The main benefit comes from splitting the load into a further set of components (channel/phase), so max temp on each falls.

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/eve...-the-motherboard-voltage-regulator-circuit/4/

In general they say that more channels is good, so I would give Dell a benefit of doubt on this, however, the question is how much will it matter in practice on an undervolted CPU which draws 65W max, and 20-30W in games. Again, he didn't mention any concrete benefits, nor did he state what the R1 design is (I think the CPU at least has a 4 phase regulator judging by the number of padded chokes, but I'm not sure). Would be also good to know how many phases/channels the old AW15 used :)

The price for this improvement is motherboard real estate.

Out of interest, why do you care? This is possibly the last thing I'd ever consider when evaluating a notebook. Are you planning to take the laptop to the ISS and levitate over it? :)
    My m15 opens to around 175 degrees if that helps, it's almost flat.

Redteam likes this.
  4. Redteam

Redteam Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    the
    The way I use a laptop is often out flat :)

etern4l likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can do that legwork if you like, I didn't have to because the rationale is straightforward. With CL15 vs CL17 I gain a maximum of around 12% in memory-bound use cases. To have the option to achieve that I had to pay £180, or I could just have the inferior Dell memory for £310. Please let me know if you have any questions why that was a very simple choice. Going forward there will be no option anymore :)

The improvement would certainly be use case dependent, with data-intensive applications such as video editing, CPU rendering, data science etc. being the primary beneficiaries. That said, the video game benchmark numbers I get out of my 2070MQ system are within 10% of the 2080 MQ - perhaps 5% better than expected.

Must have been a sale, it's £204.99 now mate - in the region of 250% markup considering they supply cheap memory. Anyway, selecting the 16GB starting RAM option is already a ripoff since it costs £150 extra. Getting a single 16GB stick and adding a second one is a poor option anyway, because you will need to find a stick that matches the Dell one. Makes much more sense to just get the 8GB variant, keep it in a drawer as backup, and buy a superior 32GB kit.

I'm still curious but it might be TMI :)

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I've uninstalled it a long time ago when it started acting up and didn't save my feedback, a lengthy one.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  7. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Have you guys seen the new redesigned M15 that was shown at Computex? I just bought mine and there's already a new version due out in a month... :confused:

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wait for couple of months and there'll be new ones yet again! Earlier, AW had incentives that lets you buy new one by exchanging old AW if you bought it a month or two before new model was released. But that is absent these days.

Flying Endeavor and etern4l like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Of course he bring up this topic. The web is flooded with questions about burning out VRM's in the big brother Area-51m (power delivery flaws and repetitive problem with burnt down machines). He wants to reassure future buyers that their new products is safe to use.

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, returning my m15 to get that bad boy. Love the smaller battery, soldered RAM, will def get it in white with 5.2GHz Thermal Velocity Boost technology (which means it's always fast and cool), plus the 51m LED will be pretty ghetto on the public transport or in the office which is the look I'm going for (I know the LED can be disabled but who would do that!).

Last edited: May 29, 2019