*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I remember seeing that BSOD type unfortunately. Have you seen Video_TDR_Failure as well? Which GPU have you got? Have you done any OCing?
    Try clean installing the latest Nvidia driver (I'm on 430.39) using DDU... you should have zero BSODs after that.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  2. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Funny you should mention that one, yeah, I have also encountered the "VIDEO TDR Failure" and something which mentions this, "nvlddmkm"

I have the RTX2060 which has been factory overclocked, I have not done any overclocking myself since that would risk voiding my warranty, I have done some undervolting with the guidance from the folks over at HID.

Will try, although I believe me and HID have done that method during a session a few days back. I would have to wait till they come back online on Monday PST.

On a side note, when it came to configuring my settings for the first time with Fallout 4, the game have given me LOW settings on all, like it failed to detect my GPU. Although my system detects it no problem and when I do run FO4 on Medium to High graphics on 1080p, I have no problems maintaining the maximum refresh rate of the game.

3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry to be delivering the bad news, but it looks very similar to my DOA GPU. You need to get the mobo replaced. Don't make my mistake and waste a week trying to sort it out on your own. I've had zero BSODs since the replacement.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/new-m15-2070-max-q-video_tdr_failure.828310/

4. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Now that is so not good, considering I would need to have this shipped back to HIDevolution in the US and then they would send it back to me in the Philippines, problem is the Bureau of Customs in my nation would give me a VERY hard time with this, since the BOC in my country always look at every opportunity to grab money from the people.

Hopefully this would not be the case, cause this unit has been good so far, despite the glitches, I mean the screen is by far the best I have ever used and the thermals seem alright. And I do not have any problems with my other games, such as Black Ops 1, World of Warships, COH1 and COH 2, as well as World of Tanks.

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, read through my agonizing recount in that thread. Sometimes the laptop would work and I devised a bunch of coping strategies and workarounds which seemed to improve uptime and gave me false hope, but then I managed to isolate specific ways to reproducibly cause those BSODs - see if they work for you.

How long have you had the notebook? Have you noticed any crashes after unboxing? For me it was very evident something's wrong since unboxing (BSODs from the start). Of course, I was hoping it would just end up being driver glitches. Nope, straight up faulty mobo / GPU. Remember, the normal state is zero BSODs.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    Vasudev and Flying Endeavor like this.
  6. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    For me, it only occurs on Fallout 4 and BF5. Right now, I could not even open my BF5, and currently, I am still stress testing my Fallout 4. I just updated my system using the Alienware Update APP, and I immediately noticed I was getting worse thermals. It appears the latest update pushes so much Watts into my CPU or something, previously it did not even reach 85 Degrees, now it reaches 90 Degrees and I am not even actively playing, just idling around in Fallout 4 in one of my settlements.

All my other games ran fine however, such as World of Warships, Black Ops 1, etc. I have not encountered any issues with those games, just with FO4 and BF5.

I have only had it for less than a week, and when I first booted up, it all ran perfectly. Even played BF5 without any issues, that is until it all went flop. I updated my Windows, and my NVIDIA drivers and then my AWCC and my RGB backlights went wonky. Oh wells.. my memory is terrible so yeah.. can't really go into full details on the updates I made. So I contacted HID, who then rolled back the NVIDIA updates to what is provided only from the DELL website... uninstalled GeForce Experience.. updated Windows, and the BIOS, etc.

7. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does it look like this? My brand new oled 2060 m15 has been in the repair center for almost two weeks now

Attached Files:

Vasudev likes this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sorry to hear. I vaguely remember seeing that one too, although VIDEO_TDR_Failure and VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR, and something to do with DPC watchdog were most common.
    Affected drivers included: nvlddmkm.sys, watchdog.sys and dxgkrnl.sys.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Oh yes, I also encountered the watchdog. That is when I undervolted to 150mV. After rolling back to 100mV, it did not appear since.

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The DPC watchdog BSODs had nothing to do with CPU UV. It's just a Windows mechanism which kicks in when e. g. a driver stops responding.

Try running Cinebench 2.0 on an external monitor. It was crashing every time for me. Also, while there seemed to be some (unfortunately naive) hope on AC power, things would get much worse in battery. XCOM2 wouldn't start at all for instance. With your symptoms I would try a clean windows install with latest Dell drivers and the aforementioned Nvidia driver (should take 1h). A single Nvidia BSOD after that on stock clock/voltage settings just RMA/return or you will suffer living with a lemon for what? Years? What if it gets worse?