*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you. I'm based in the UK, so would prefer not to ship from the US if I can help it - if they slap import duties, any value proposition would go out of the window. Still, Corsair MP510 is on Amazon here and found an interesting review directly comparing it to the 660p. The latter performs very well as long as it can work off the TLC cache, then the write speed goes down to what looks like 100MB/s (after some 80-90 GB written). The Corsair also takes a hit, and very quickly, but the write speed goes down to 1000MB/s which isn't bad.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/corsair-force-mp510-ssd,review-34591-2.html

The Amazon price is not great, though, I would just get the EVO 970 (Plus) at that level.

Seems like it's Sabrent vs 660p or just cough up for the EVO 970 with all its heat next to the battery and all.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    etern4l likes this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Flying Endeavor and Aivxtla like this.
  4. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have the OLED screen and I’m not seeing the issues you described. Get on a chat with Alienware support.

5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm about to pull the trigger. Just two outstanding concerns:
    1. It's thicker than my EVO 970 Plus (3mm vs 2.38mm) and judging by the picture has a large chip on the underside. My concern is whether it will clear the underlying PCB, especially since I'm hoping to add a 0.5mm pad to help with heat dissipation.
    2. It was not super-clear it will work in AHCI mode so I installed the driver, and found the info in the help section. AHCI will be fine and is required for firmware upgrades, just as with Samsung.

System Requirements

• The Corsair SSD Toolbox™ runs on Windows® XP SP3, Windows® Vista, Windows® 7, Windows® 8, and Server 2008, including both 32 and 64 bit versions, and all released Service Packs on all Microsoft® file systems. Supports SSD drives running on Intel, AMD, and nVidia chipset based systems with TRIM capable storage drivers on SATA host controllers operating in both IDE and AHCI modes and SSDs connected though USB ports using SAT-capable cables and enclosures.
    • Note1: Some nVidia storage drivers will not properly pass ATA commands to the SSD drive affecting certain functions of the Corsair SSD Toolbox™. Make sure that your SSD drive is listed as an ATA/SATA device in “Device Manager” – in some cases, your SATA drive may display as a SCSI device in “Device Manager” due to incompatible storage drivers. If you experience these issues, it may be necessary to change your storage drivers to the Microsoft defaults or contact the chipset manufacturer for updated drivers.
    • Note2: For proper operation of the Firmware Update function, your computer’s BIOS must support and be in AHCI mode. This allows proper communication with serial ATA (SATA) SSD drives and helps to obtain maximum performance from your SSD. In addition, a complete shutdown and restart (cold reboot) is required for the updated firmware to take effect.
    OK, ordering.

6. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Yes its double sided, I don’t think you have much of a choice with most 2 TB SSDs.

No need for third party nVME drivers, the SSD will work just fine with stock Windows nVME drivers (nVstore). Won’t see much of any difference with third party drivers, in Samsung's case for example some iterations of their nVME driver caused lockups under certain conditions.

etern4l likes this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Still, no reason to suspect it won't fit. Worst case scenario there won't be any clearance to add a bottom pad without touching the PCB.

I hear you. The 970 EVO Plus performs identically in RAID and AHCI modes using the Samsung driver.

8. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got the 2TB HP EX950. One of the main reasons I got it was because it loaded games faster than anyone else. Even Samsung.

FXi, Vasudev, Aivxtla and 2 others like this.
  9. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    edit: false thread

10. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Yeah it will definitely fit but might not allow sufficient clearance for a cooling pad.

FYI between HP EX950 and the MP500 I'd get the MP500 since it is not only cheaper but does better under heavy sustained load and full drive conditions (If you need that kind of use) where the HP takes a huge hit, due to a better controller on the MP500. The HP also has a unusually huge idle to wake latency compared to most of the other nvme drives. Either way both are decent and the EX950 does well in other areas, also some of those tests are beyond normal consumer use anyway.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13759/comparing-adata-sx8200-pro-vs-hp-ex950/4

Edit: Nvm just saw you are ordering the MP500, enjoy!

You can't win in everything right, interesting find. Nice to know considering the EVO costs a heck of lot more.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Vasudev, propeldragon and etern4l like this.