*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's a taxing game - I wouldn't expect to see higher temps in SotTR. I am not sure what TDP lock of 35W you are talking about, since your screenshot is showing max CPU Package Power of 44W. Overall, the CPU temps and power numbers look very similar to mine (which is impressive given the smaller Blade chasis), except I note your PL1 is reported as 60W and PL2 is 80W. It's 45W and 90W for me. I guess the manufacturer sets these rather than Intel? Not sure 60W PL1 is sensible though - temps would get pretty high at 60W sustained load. My clocks in XCOM2 are are around 3.9GHz, as per previous posts in these CPUs that just means "I'm loaded but not overloaded".

2. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It spikes for a moment to 45 watt and stay on 35 Watt, yes that’s balanced mode set by Razer to maintain lower temperature. PL1 and 2 doesn’t matter here, since it’s all locked on bios. To gain 3,9ghz it doesn’t need 60 watt tdp, 25 watt can achieve that frequency depends on load percentage, if it’s over 60% it’ll throttle to 3,6 or lower, quite weird setting though but I like the temperature, on my old Blade 14 7700HQ, I can’t use Turbo Boost on gaming to keep in 80ish areas. That’s my recipe keeping thin light gaming laptop running well on factory default thermal paste (though only 2 years always selling it for upgrade), never let it on 90ish areas max (including spike) mid 80ish, if I could lol, sometimes things don’t go as i want;)

etern4l likes this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So you're saying HWINFO is reporting PL1 incorrectly as 60W? Nm, I wouldn't want or need to limit power below 45W, since the machine can handle 45W. Ideally the power limit would be set in terms of temps not an arbitrary power threshold.. Things are beginning to go in that direction with Intel's "Thermal Velocity Boost" which will sadly pass m15 and Blade users by since the limit is 50C lol. I don't know if Blade users have an option to use anything other than stock paste, OTOH the m15 is trivial to repaste. My problem now is what SSD to fit in that second M.2 slot :)

FXi and Joikansai like this.
  4. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I ran the test again and got the same results. A 15 minute stress tests shows the CPU pulling over 55 watts the entire time. Max temp was 93c with no thermal throttling.

Stress_Test.jpg

5. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Is there any one here that has the 60Hz 1080p panel?
    If so, could you please do me a favor and use HWINFO64 and let me know what LCD panel you have?
    Thanks!

6. stevearm

stevearm Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a 60Hz pane on a M17 l and its a AU Optronics B173HAN01.3 if it helps

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks, but, strictly speaking, I don't see that on the XTU chart (which just shows the temp, utilisation and frequency). I see a recorded max in the CPUID window, but no average.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  8. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Here's the start of the test (19:30:20) and the end of the test (19:43:37). That's over 10 minutes with the CPU running over 45 watts the entire time. Start.jpg End.jpg

etern4l likes this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ha, I assumed you were talking about stock settings. Didn't realize changing TDP actually works in XTU (doesn't seem to in TS).

10. attax92

attax92 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey,

Hwinfo only shows this:

AU Optronics [Unknown Model: AUO24ED]

I wish i can find more Info about it, but Aida64 also give me not more info...