*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks! :)

2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's all I need to know about the practicality / longevity of an OLED notebook display for anything other than watching movies...

BTW It's interesting that Samsung themselves have abandoned OLED TVs on due to burn-in issues.

3:20... incredible.

Papusan likes this.
  3. Miko Skye

Miko Skye Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello everyone - I have owned my m15 now for a few months and had a real chance to use it in "anger". After an initial false start with an overheating model(Alienware swapped for new one without hesitation), I can honestly say this is a wonder of technology. The first few weeks I became obsessed with temp watching, performance testing, just constantly wondering if I had made a mistake. I mean, it is a lot of money so wanting the right bang for buck ratio, well, testing is a must.

In this I was wrong. watching figures on a screen misses the point with this laptop. AS soon as I stopped monitoring and started playing / using, my feelings changed from doubt to one of wonder. It does not miss a beat. Solid 60fps on ultra in any game on my 1440 wide screen monitor distracts from the buttery smooth graphics that the GPU can push out on the external or 4k internal panel. The processor effortlessly snaps huge RAW images into a pano, my usual phone twitter browse no sooner started before the image is stitched. The keybaord a delight to type on, the weight more than acceptable when carrying in a shoulder bag.

This is a beast in a portable package!!

Is it without issues? Oh god ,no. It is noisy when at full power (fans spinning, cooling needed). It does thermal throttle when under load for longer periods (a re-paste might be in order), and the battery life sucks unless you cut back on the use to a point that it is no more use than a tablet. And dont even think of using on your lap, those fans in the bottom NEED air!! But eyes open, this is a gaming laptop with a high end CPU and GPU, to expect any of the former not to appear would be unrealistic - maybe in 5 years, maybe not. For now, this is a veritable delight to use and one that I hope sits on a stand on my lap or desk for years to come.

FXi, etern4l and unlogic like this.
  4. unlogic

unlogic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    According to MobileTechReview, m15 OLED has poor colour accuracy of out the box. I wonder is it really hard to calibrate an OLED display using your own colorimeter?

etern4l likes this.
  5. xXHeadyXx

xXHeadyXx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i dont especially want to read through 235 pages :D but can you guys tell me what expected temps for a alienware m15 with i7 8750h with undervolt and kryonaut repaste should be ? ive heard alot of people say that the m15 gets 100c quick and is hard to get below 95 without limiting performance etc like crazy, what have you guys achieved with uv and repasted at once ? i also plan on getting the 2060 version since i heard that that one is cooler than the 1060 ( cooler in both ways :p ), coming from a blade 15 :D and no i wont accept answers like prop the device up :D ..thats a "gettho" fix for me :p

6. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    See the tests and temps in my review. You should get slightly lower temps with the 8750H as I had the 8950HK which runs hotter:

Alienware m15 / i9-8950HK Review by Ultra Male

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Quite a bit of glare on that OLED. The IPS they used in the comparison looks dim - must be the 60Hz variant. The 144Hz is painfully bright and also miscalibrated to be a punchy retina burner. Not too difficult to correct even without any pro equipment though.

Out of the box Turbo Boost will make it hit 100C quickly, but that's relatively unimportant in practice because TB is time limited to 28s in i7-8750H anyway. Undervolting helps a lot, a good cooling pad will shave a further 6-8C off temps under load, repasting works. With all that, temps under full load (CB20) for the i7-8750H CPU are under 80C (max temp under TB 92C), 2070 max-q under full load runs at 65C. The CPU runs much cooler than that in all the games I've tried (60s, low 70Cs). Balanced fan setting, 22C ambient.

Awesome notebook after a bit of tuning.

BTW search function helps.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  8. xXHeadyXx

xXHeadyXx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    what about the tdp limit ? ive heard that the limit is "unlocked" therefore the cpu tries to get as high as possible resulting in high temps, i would limit it to the 45w i am used to from my old blade, and a cooling pad is also a nogo for me cause i would have to get it along when i want to play on the go

9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    CPU TDP is 45W and 90W under TB (although my CPU only consumes around 65W when TBing at 3.9GHz due to the undervolt). It's trivial to disable TB (using ThrottleStop) if you don't want to use it. As per my previous post, temps when playing games should be fine after tuning, even without the pad. There is no heat to speak of on battery, total system power draw is limited to 40W (or 20W in battery saver mode).

Edit: just got curious and ran CB20 without the cooling pad:
    1st run: 98C max, 81C average
    2nd run: 100C max, 86C average

With the pad the temps are
    1st run: 96C max, 78C average
    2nd run: 98C max, 81C average

SotTR on max settings without the pad runs at: CPU 81C max / 70C avg, GPU 74C max / 68 avg

Ambient temp is 23C.

In conclusion, TB is going to push the temps pretty high in benchmarks either way, but thermals at 45W (basically the average number in CB20 results) look much better. Gaming temps are fine without a pad. Still def worth using one when the laptop is sitting on the primary desk.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  10. xXHeadyXx

xXHeadyXx Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    tb 90w ? my blade was able to get 4.1 tb on 2 cores and 39 on all cores with only 45w dtp, for hours , why do they need such high tdp to get the tb, ? it wasnt even getting that hot with average 85, and max for split second of 95 if the tdp is limited to 45w, will it be abkle to hold the turbo ? cause it wont get into thermal throttle and throttle below the turbo for all or 2 cores ?

i saw in one video someone saying that limiting to just 45w was enough to bring the temps down alot while still having goot frequencies, ( i cant remember what video that was )