*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    https://www.oled-info.com/pulse-width-modulation-pwm-oled-displays

SDC (Samsung) uses pwm in all its mobile OLED displays, apparently so does LG TV's if the article is correct (they have only camera which they admit is a limited test).

Notebookcheck also keeps a running database of pwm tests at this link
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/PWM-Ranking-Notebooks-Smartphones-and-Tablets-with-PWM.163979.0.html

You'll find that notebookcheck found that all iphones which use SDC OLED panels all come in around 240Hz. Which is also what the Alienware 13 came in at, so it's possible that's what the 15.6 OLED panels will be doing. I'm sure notebookcheck will be testing OLED panels from AW, Razer and even HP so you'll probably have testing to verify this in the not too distant future.

But if people found the AW 13 OLED to be "great" in most cases that was using 240 pwm. So you'll have to factor that into "want it"/"don't want it" decisions.

Vasudev and Ben141 like this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On my machine disabling threading has zero impact on clocks. There is no thermal throttling ever, however, keeping temps under 50C under loads is impossible, even LM (unsafe in mobile devices) would probably struggle. Given that the new processors are based on the same architecture, I wonder how much faster they can get in practice given that they have the same power limits.

4.1GHz is a Turbo Boost speed which in that processor will be time limited and locked to something like 30s, and therefore it has little bearing on performance under sustained loads.

The question is: what will be the max clock at full load to the standard TDP of 45W for the new processors and we don't know because Intel doesn't advertise that. It is around 3.1GHz for the 8750H, however, this processor undervolts like a dream so mine runs at 3.6GHz on all cores at 72C. Again, heat is of little concern.

Since the architecture is the same, I think the real performance improvements will be mainly on 1-2 core loads and due to the larger caches, and as such will be limited. Check out Ultra Male's review of the i9-8950HK unlocked processor if you haven't already.

You talk about "real life performance rather than benchmarks". Well, I guess what you are saying is "under smaller loads" and in those scenarios the 9880H will clock higher (again, for example older games only utilising only 1 or 2 cores), but then there is little benefit to having additional cores, and the overall practical difference will be limited in most cases.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm worried about heavy ownership bias in user reports on the current OLED screens, caused by amazement by some of the features and the inherent difficulty in effectively correlating any issues with the screen.

This is clearly apparent in the Notebookcheck review of the AW13 OLED. They say the screen has "no drawbacks" but then they state:

"A test grey-to-grey was unfortunately not possible, because the fluctuations were too high due to the flickering (around 240 Hz; one of the few drawbacks of the OLED screen)."

LOL. The facts are clear: 240Hz PWM is very low by today's standards and well under the 3kHz recommended minimum PWM frequency and thus very likely unsafe. The 400nits m15 screen should under very few circumstances be used at full brightness, and dimming exacerbates PWM issues.

Adding to that the 4K resolution, I pass with confidence for now.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Check out i9-8950HK review by Ultra Male then save your money and get i7-8750H.

5. Ben141

Ben141 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    lets just wait for profesional review of m15s oled and just dont judge berore its clear. It may be bad, it may be good. You pickpoint one thing from many, what about your phone TV, lights, headphones, bluetooth devices, even m15 IPS is not healthy as well - HD or 4K, doesnt matter.

6. Ben141

Ben141 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would like to ask something about BIOS, is there anything important before clean install or after for average user to change in BIOS on new m15 or I should leave BIOS intact? And if I am on newer version from stock is there way to move to older version? Thanks

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "Everything is unhealthy so whatevs". Is this supposed to be your argument? My phone honestly sucks, 1.1kHz PWM - I wasn't aware of that when I was buying, but it's perceptible. At least I'm motivated not to stare at it for too long.

I hope the m15 OLED gets reviewed properly, but not clear how much focus professional reviewers put on health issues, if even guys like Notebookcheck can go like "this thing flickers so much we can't even test it, but yeah, it's great".

What health hazard does the 144Hz IPS pose after calibration to remove the excess blue levels, at a safe brightness setting, and with night mode on please (that I can't mitigate using computer glasses)?

8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'd disable Express Charge.

9. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Where? HidEvolution only has the 8950HK with the 2080, and in the alienware page it is the same. Should I call Dell directly? Do they have options not available in the online shop?

10. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep I read about the 8950hk quite a bit. And don't think I don't hear you etern4l. And I think I'll let the world get pretty full of OLED screens, knowing that the XPS 15, Razer 15 and HP models are all using the SDC OLED panel, and we should begin to see the compromises show up in people's opinions somewhere. Failing that I'm willing to bring one home and if it fails to live up to the billing, I'll send it back.

And this is particular because to me the choice is down to 15.6 OLED m15 or UHD m17. In a perfect world maybe I'd have the option of 17 OLED, but we'll see. And do also remember that OLED has 1ms transitions (and yes I read your gtg comment above and yep that's a problem if 1ms doesn't cover all the transitions). But that's worlds faster than all the LCD panels available. The color gamut is also good as is the text readability. So let's see how this goes. I don't think it's instant win (as you say there are "issues" that get glossed over) but many of the positives of OLED are things I'm looking for.

As for the new cpu's, let's see. You don't get higher clocks. Noted. But you have undervolted and enhanced your cpu to it's maximum ability. You' have to admit that how well your cpu behaves is better than the out of the box. Certainly that same level of treatment would improve a 9880h (not the hk). And we'll have to see if that proves true in testing.