*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, mine idles at 35C (23C ambient), but 50C under full load would be difficult indeed :) Basically, what Thermal Velocity Boost will achieve is overclock the CPU when it's doing very little work, or for a second or so when it's starting to do some real work - that's it. 4.8GHz looks good in marketing materials though.

Papusan likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    BTW Disabling HT doesn't affect idle temps, but temps under load go down significantly (13C) - around 59C in CB20. On the other hand, the boost provided by HT in CB20 is around 47%, therefore a 6 core CPU with HT performs like one with 8.8 cores. HTH

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Ben141

Ben141 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok guys, HWinfo says about OLED dispay in my m15 with 2060:
    SAMSUNG [Unknown Model: SDCA029]
    156WR04 [DELL P/N: 0HHFM]

I tried to measure flickering without any device ment for it, just by camera moving with shutter speed known and thin vertical line with different brightness settings. My conclusion is that even on 70% brightness there were none flickering observed / only thickened line/ on 40% there was line dividing into 8 lines so with my camera shutter at 1/33s it could be around 260 Hz, but only at realy low brightness.
    So it looks like at the higher brightness settings there is no flickering as for PWM.

as for link about flickering, thank you, good reading.
    Well there are some serious health threats with these, but all this seems widder than it is. If you are concern about health and what could harm your health you have to take in acount also things like TVs, Lamps, all kind of lights and lightings, not just OLED, LED. Also all kinds of microwaves starting from bluetooth /as for wireless headsets which are so popular nowadays - airpods itself have some serious claims against about harming brain tissue/. Games themselfs have always warnings about epilepic and health dangers even nowadays after CRT era. So ok, if OLED are bad, it should be fixed, but than ... what about TVs ,even LED TVs, cell phones, lights, waves, everything, ...electric smog,...than you realize you take all or nothing, cause saying we limit one but let other 100 unhealthy things in our lives is not ok as well.

4. faenil

faenil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info!
    At what brightness level do those lines appear? I think 40% is still a bit high for evening/low-lights usage...The Alienware 13 uses 240hz at brightness <=100% so I'm starting to believe they will behave the same...I doubt they're using a hybrid DC-PWM solution like Samsung does on some Desktop monitors, but who knows

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  5. Ben141

Reputations:
    Dont know the breakpoint for that, I just tested 3 values 100% , 70% and 40%, but let me tell you... 40% is realy low for this panel, the colors dont corespond to true likening, 100% is realy strong, 80-60% are ok , not disturbing. I have TV with 1500 nits and comparing to that its a lot lower

I think we have to wait for the review of this oled from notebookcheck, they have precise display tests including PWM so all this is just my amateur opinion

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    FXi likes this.
  6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Light intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance to source therefore direct comparison between laptop screens and TVs is meaningless, unless you usually sit 3 metres from your laptop. I guess it would make sense to divide TV luminosity by roughly 15 to get a laptop equivalent luminance, in this case your TVs equivalent luminance is 100nits which makes sense since the optimal is somewhere around 120 nits. At the end of the day, your retinas - your screen brightness setting.

7. Ben141

Reputations:
    ok, no arguing with that, I am just comparing what I can, what I own. I dont think so much about all this brightness, to conclude, you can have the highest brightness possible, if your room is realy bright during the day, even during the night if you have strong lights inside, than it doesnt realy matter.

8. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it really impossible to get a 8950HK with a RTX 2060? I already have an AMP with a 1080Ti and would like to have the best possible CPU, and on the go the 2060 is more than enough.

9. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes you can get the 8950HK although you'll be able to get the 8 core 9880H in about a month.

10. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lowering the heat by reducing the threading helps improve clocks, although in something as heat laden as the m15 that "help" will be small. The 9700 with 8 cores and no HT outperforms the 8700K and 8086K when clocked the same. 6+6 is less effective than 8 real cores in a lot of scenarios (not however something like CB, but I don't care much about benching nor video work which likes a lot of cores).

I don't expect to hit 4.8 peak clocks at under 50c. However if 8 cores are max capable of 4.1 and with heat well managed I may well get 8 to 3.9-4.0. That's not desktop speeds but it's not bad.