*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. davidmp

davidmp Newbie

Reputations:
    Just received the m15 with OLED, RTX 2080 and have issue with blooming /saturation (colors Red and Blue are so high they hurt my eyes) I am not able to find a way to adjust the colors. The display is showing as Generic PnP, and the Intel 630 GPU shows the panel to be 8 Bit? This panel does not seem to be as good as the Razer panel with is calibrated, touch, HDR400 and I am not sure I can keep it as is. There is little to no information on this panel which I would like to get to do a fair comparison.

2. Ben141

Ben141 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well i dont know where coud be colors adjust, but in hwinfo my oled is listed as panel with exact number. As for bits it says 8bits, but in alienware yt channel they commented it that oleds are 8bits so i dont know.

3. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You have to use Intel's graphics settings. You might have to download the control panel from Microsoft store.

4. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had a similar issue with the 144Hz IPS panel. It was stupidly calibrated to be very cool, bright, and punchy. I used Windows Color Calibration tool (and colour and gamma calibration charts as per Google) to adjust the gamma, brightness and colour balance. It's fantastic now, operating at around 30% brightness.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  5. unlogic

unlogic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is your Razer Blade 15 also OLED display? Both should share the same Samsung panel.

6. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Use DDU and completely remove intel 630 drivers, download the intel package from the intel website. You know you did it right if you have the intel graphics command center in your task bar. Adjust from there.

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could be just me but Intel's drivers fail to install on the m15 with a message advising to use manufacturer's drivers.

8. faenil

faenil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do we already have a confirmation that the OLED panel is indeed Samsung's?
    Is there any information about the PWM frequency of the backlight?

Can anyone with the OLED please post the model number or the device details from the device properties screen on Windows?

9. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is what happens if you don't use DDU and don't restart. Also make sure to disable automatic updates.

It should show up as a basic display adapter, then you can install from intel. I had the same problem when working on a buddies M15 and my 13 R3

etern4l likes this.
  10. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Samsung (SDC) is the only maker providing OLED panels for laptop/tablets. At CES they announced they were offering 13.3, 14 and 15.6 models to be available over the course of 2019. I'm a bit surprised at being 8 bit but that might well be 8+FRC which is a pretty common approach to 10 bit, because it's cheaper. But all these panels, whether from Lenovo, HP Dell or others are all SDC displays.

And a ways back there was a discussion about only using manufacturer drivers for Nvidia chips. This article points out one of many reasons why you need to be able to get drivers directly from Nvidia. BTW if people haven't updated their Nvidia drivers, you should..
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...gh-severity-windows-gpu-display-driver-flaws/