*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Perhaps the problem is this Twitter or phone support? I'll tell you what I did. I didn't bother calling anyone. I ran Support Assist blue screen diagnostics, which crashed, so I opened a support ticket via Support Assist around 1 am on a Thursday. They responded via email first thing in the morning asking me for details of the blue screens (not really sure why since all blue screens are recorded by Support Assist) and whether I am on the latest BIOS (again, I would have thought Support Assist provides them with details like that). I sent them photos of the blue screens as well as windbg analysis of one of the dumps for good measure to clearly show it's a GPU issue, and asked if the motherboard can be replaced in a timely manner, otherwise I'm returning. They said yes, and arranged a repair - a very competent 3rd party service partner tech showed up on time on Monday and sorted it in an hour-ish including testing. BTW The laptop is marvellously simple to service, unlike say the AW17 from what I can see in the repaste threads.

I don't quite accept it's a bad laptop in the engineering sense. Yes, too hot as shipped, but not hotter than say the Blade or Aero 15 (and unlike the former it can be easily repasted), and that issue is manageable. Once overcome the laptop is great. There is something wrong with the Alienware's Chinese manufacturing / QA process though. My first Alienware arrived from China with the wrong motherboard (wrong GPU), the second one arrived from China with a faulty GPU. That's more than just bad luck.

The fact that you weren't offered onsite service is quite concerning, given that this is Alienware's significant USP (amongst the likes of Razer, Gigabyte, MSI, Asus and Acer). Actually, this was also the case with my first Alienware - they didn't want to send a tech to replace the mobo with one having the correct GPU. My only options were to return, refund, or take a cash incentive to keep the laptop. The difference is that I spoke with sales support in India on the phone, as opposed to local support people over Support Assist / email, and, of course, that was 3.5 years ago. HTH

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    childprotectorofthenight and FXi like this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey, have you read the official TS guide? It's quite good. You change OFFSETS for the CPU, cache (should be the same values), and the offset for Intel GPU (I've read here it's -50mV and I haven't tried taking it further down).

I haven't touched the iGPU Unslice (not sure what that is), or the System Agent (not sure either - mobo voltage?).

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  3. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    QA levels on parts and subassemblies sourced from China were always tough before the current trade troubles. Now everyone is living with the fallout. And it's not a great situation for anyone. I'm not relieving Dell of responsibility. I'm just letting you know that many industries are managing with considerably more difficulties than before. This is also impacted by Intel's stretching it's technology level to the very limits, where there used to be more parts that would at least meet a minimum level of promised performance.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I will rephrase the Speedshift thingy correctly. Using 180 or more disables turbo Boost even if you haven't checked Disable Turbo in TS.
    i think you can fix the incorrect Turbo boost sleep bug by disabling Speedshift aka HWP or EPP in BIOS whilst Speedstep and C1E enabled in BIOS.

5. Skolar

Skolar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Another thing I noticed about screen brightness. When the laptop gets out of sleep or when the screen lights up after closing itself after a 5 mins idle, it will sometimes be at full brightness and I have to manually lower it down.

6. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, they should just fix the BIOS issue. I don't want to disable SpeedShift.

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have no such issues. Have you opened a Dell Support ticket?

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Use Speedshift functionality on Linux or Windows. I think Dell is aggressively increasing SST value that disables turbo.

etern4l likes this.
  9. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's not it. I tried setting SST to 64 and 32 after wakeup, it didn't help. Actually, it looks like it's not that TurboBoost is completely disabled. There is a brief, 1s maybe, power spike above 45W then it falls back to 45W. They may be setting Turbo Boost Time Limit to 1s or something. Changing this in TS has no effect. The default is 28s and that's the max it will normally Turbo Boost for regardless of temps.

10. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Undervolting Intel GPU below -50mV results in significant power draw savings. Concretely, going to -75mV, which has been stable for a day, shaves another 1.5W off, so I'm now down to 8.2W on idle, resulting in 10h idle battery lifetime estimates (I suspect this is also underestimated, because of the apparent battery charge level reporting issue, which I also brought up with Dell support). Even now, when browsing, it's around 8.4W. Pretty cool, I will see if I can take it down further.