*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, but have you read The Crucible? I’m feeling like John Proctor. Here! Let me help you get it straight. The laptop arrived 5 days past the due date. Left for Vancouver a few hours after receiving the laptop. I got back on Tuesday, didn’t start messing around with it till Wednesday. Didn’t take it into Microcenter till after I spoke with Dell support and noted the power adapter, bsod, trackpad, and temps. I didn’t list every little issue because I spent two hours on the phone with them having remote access and potentially messed it up even more. Now I have time and can vent about their bad quality control

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I haven't, sadly. Yeah, the fact that you hadn't mentioned any issues prior to the repaste confused me. I certainly wouldn't have taken the unit to a 3rd party repair service for just a repaste with all those other problems so, I kind of agree with Dell here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/attachments/fff2334b-c661-4116-8fe5-7241bebf011a-png.174058/

Regardless of the other issues, the MicroCentre seem to have done a bad job with the repaste.

BTW I also had a charger issue with the faulty mobo, after opening the PC, when turning it on without the bottom covered affixed - it would say "charger type not recognized". No such problem after mobo replaced.

I agree with you that Dell indeed have fallen short of QA expectations. Faulty mobos, Area-51Ms ablaze etc. It's also true that the m15s are too hot out of the box, and it's only thanks to the amazing undervolting capacity of the i7-8750H and repasting that the systems can be fine tuned by end users to run at reasonable temps. OTOH the out of the box temps are in line with similar models from other manufacturers - for instance, rinneh is happy his Blade 15 runs at 86C "because it's such a small chasis".

One moral of the story, is to always upgrade support to premium with Dells to get the onsite service (something few other manufacturers offer), especially when ordering bleeding edge systems and whenever 10 day repair times are unacceptable. If I didn't I would probably have to return it resulting in a huge waste of time (which you unsuccessfully tried to avoid, without paying Dell for premium service).

Edit: Premium Support is actually the default for Alienware laptops and that def includes onsite service...

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    FXi and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Your power draw seems very high. If you want better battery use Speedshift 180 (disable turbo boost for max battery life) Value of 180 means max clock freq will be stock clocks w/o turbo. If you want little higher boost dial the value down to 150 to boost it to 3.1GHz for all cores and single cores.
    Recalibrating the battery isn't needed unless you strain the battery everyday with 100-10% power on daily basis, otherwise windows 10 takes care of recalibration and battery longevity methods.

etern4l likes this.
  4. Ben141

Ben141 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recieved my m15 aw with 2060 and OLED so I may post my numbers if anyone is interested.
    Battery wear as for HWinfo is 1,4%,i have 60 w capacity.

As for undervolting in TS, I am suppose to change mV as for CPU core and CPUcache, but as for iGpu as well? What about ccMax or something like that at the bottom of TS? Thanka

FXi and etern4l like this.
  5. Skolar

Skolar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would be really interested to know your benchmarks and how long you can last on a full charge of the battery.

6. redsfan7035

redsfan7035 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just stick to inhome repair. If you’re within your return window, just exchange it. Also, as an FYI, don’t ever tell them you took it somewhere to repaste, just say you did it yourself. You’re definitely allowed to repaste yourself, but involving a 3rd party is always an easy way for them to get out of it.

You also should not need premium for onsite repair unless you’re not in the US or something?

Bottom line: it sounds like it’s brand new and your first system so just return or exchange it. If you want, you can push for some compensation or upgrade to do an exchange over a return.

7. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good point, thanks. I forgot to configure the battery profile in TC. This has brought the idle utilisation down by around 1W, idle battery life estimate is around 8:30, which is good enough.

That's what I had thought until I went through the exercise and gained 600mV of full battery charge.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not clear whether onsite service is always available:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/supportservicesforhome/cp/supportservicesforhome

it says hardware repair model "varies" rather than onsite. On the other hand onsite service is mentioned in basic consumer hardware support contract in the US, Canada, UK etc.

Anyway, the point is moot because it seems the only support options for Alienware laptops are Premium or Premium Plus.

That being the case, it's weird they didn't offer him a home repair, presumably on the basis of his repaste at MicroCentre...

9. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was about to say I definitely have onsite warranty lol. The rep didn’t offer it even after I mentioned it. Microcenter did a fine job with the repaste. It dropped cpu temps by 10c the gpu is ffed. I didn’t notice the issues till I messed around with it otherwise would’ve done an exchange immediately. I was hoping the other problems would be fixed by on-site and I’d get a new adapter shipped out. Didn’t want to be without a laptop again for who knows how long
    I’m sorry you’re Alienware was messed up upon arrival as well. That just reaffirms the fact the laptop is ****ty. We both got messed up “new” units. Come on. They didn’t know about the repaste until I posted on Twitter. The rep I talked with “before” the repaste offered me 2 options. Send it in to the repair center and wait at least 10 days, or return for a full refund. I don’t know why you’re mentioning the microcenter repaste repeatedly. Plus they are an authorized dell service center, so that idiot Twitter rep has no idea what he’s talking about. I got a call from a service rep apologizing for that mistake yesterday and asking if I was satisfied with how the “situation” has been handled thus far

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    FXi and etern4l like this.
  10. Ben141

Ben141 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I will bench it Skolar and put it here.
    Guys please may you check my previous comment and advise me about udervolting?