*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. alizzleable

alizzleable Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1. 180Fps it dips down occasionally, but relatively good
    2.140fps or so
    3.100-140 depending on the area and what is going on average is about 114 or so
    4. Don't have fortnite lol!
    5. 150-160 I only played the tutorial since I don't really play dota 2
    6.144-178 it constantly hovers above 144.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  2. unlogic

unlogic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys!

I’m planning to order m15 after the 9th Gen CPU come out.

At this moment, OLED option is not yet available in Japan but I’m considering getting the OLED screen if Dell Japan offers it later.

I always keep my laptop for 3-4 years (or more). How do you think about the OLED degradation and its longevity in long period? I understand that the blue OLED emitter has shortest lifespan when compared to red and green. Also, I read that we need extra care when using OLED screen such as always hide the task bar, do not use full brightness etc.

3. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Hey, I was just at that Microcenter yesterday (Fairfax)! If I recall your in the NOVA area. I had to pick up some thermal pads for the X7200. I miss the M11x R1 as well. That thing was perfect for browsing the web in bed.

4. alizzleable

Reputations:
    Cinebench R15 is 1083
    Cinebench R20 is 2616

Don't know how to post media here, so if you'd like the images I have saved of the scores just pm me your email address and i'll send it to you.

etern4l likes this.
  5. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you, solid midrange numbers, although was hoping you would squeeze more out of it after repaste.
    Could you just post the 3DMark Timespy score? No need for a screenshot.

BTW imgur is easy. Click New Post, Paste the picture, right click on it and Copy image address, paste the link or use the little image button in the post editor and paste the link there.

alizzleable likes this.
  6. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    That is the old stomping ground. I worked there for 4 months in college back in 2008. They had the Area-51m out on display, I had to ask for them to get an open-box m15 for me to see that one.

DR650SE likes this.
  7. alizzleable

Reputations:
    Timespy was about 7900 for graphics, as for the cinebench scores i'm positive i could have squeezed more out of it, with fans on max in anything i'm not getting hotter than the 70 degree range with it on a cooling pad, however i left it undervolted and clock limited at 3.7 for the cinebench run. The performance is fantastic for me, on balanced core 1-2 will touch into 90 (as a max spike) but the other cores sit at 83 (as max temp spikes), so there is still some contact issues, or it could just be the heatsink. This doesn't worry me though since i can just shoot the fans up if I'm not comfortable with the occasional 90 degree hike.

etern4l likes this.
  8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you. Basically, there is good 10% improvement vs 2070 in this taxing benchmark, which is not that surprising given that both are 90W chips. BTW I tried to get Dell to upgrade my mobo to 2080 since they (Unisys actually) are going to replace it anyway: they quoted me exactly 50% more than the price difference when buying new lol

Your CPU temps are great and clearly motivate a good repaste/repad. Will try to get the tech to do it during the mobo swap.

Have a fun weekend :)

9. Intragreen

Intragreen Newbie

Reputations:
    Wondering why I can't configure an m15 from Dell Canada website with a 2080 max q and 8950hk cpu...the website returns a weird 'invalid cpu label' error...and it won't accept with Windows 10 Pro either...???...will not let me add to cart...ne1 else experience this issue?

10. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:

Ahh, gotcha. It's the kind of place I can get lost in for hours.