*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    BTW my battery was showing 5% on arrival. Presumably indicative of my receiving a returned unit (along with things like a peeling off protective sticker on the Alien head)

2. alizzleable

alizzleable Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine also arrived with a 5.7% wear level, i also saw a review of someone who had a 2060 model with a 6% wear level on the battery, perhaps an issue with the batteries in general? I got mine yesterday with a 2080 max q.

etern4l likes this.
  3. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good to know, thanks. I asked the actually seemingly local and helpful support contact about this and will let you know if there is any response. A minor issue for sure.

One more thing I pointed out though is that when an external monitor is connected, closing the lid causes the external screen to go black, closing it like 80% causes weird artifacts. Anyone else noticed this?

4. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Please let me know what fps you are getting in any of the following games
    1. League of legends
    2. Destiny 2
    3. Apex legends
    4. Fortnite
    5. DotA 2
    6. Overwatch

I have a 1070 Max q and I wanna compare. I can't get a stable 144 fps on league, can only achieve around 132 stable.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

5. alizzleable

Reputations:
    After repasting the cpu and gpu with gelid gc extreme, putting a 1.0mm thermal pad to replace the cpu pad and finally using throttlestop to limit my cpu at 47 watts ( i noticed it would sometimes pull up to 70) limiting my clockspeeds to 3.7 on all cores, the cpu on a flat table with no elevations doesn't seem to touch higher than 85 C. I've seen some reviews that mention raising and tilting will improve temps further, but with the tweaks i've done performance is very nice for the form factor, not to mention i usually play on my bed with my laptop on a cooling pad to avoid scalding my nutsack, so i think the temperatures will be slightly better with a cooling pad. The test i used for temperatures was running shadow of the tomb raider for about an hour and a half.

Cpu is an 8750h
    Gpu 2080 maxq

dreamcat4, etern4l and CptXabaras like this.
  6. alizzleable

Reputations:
    Sure man when i get home off of work at 6:00 p.m I'll install those games and get back to you!

etern4l likes this.
  7. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks! I appreciate it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could you post CB15/20 and TimeSpy results?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  9. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've had 5.4% battery wear for over a year and hasn't changed since I got it. I don't use my laptop on battery very much though.

etern4l likes this.
  10. kahuna0k

kahuna0k Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, anybody with the m15 8950HK and the AGA? I have a 13R3 OLED with the 7700HK and my main use is on a cooling pad connected to the AGA (1080Ti). I'm thinking about getting the m15 8950HK + 2060 from HIDEvolution (I got the 13R3 from them as it is fantastic). I know that the temps with the 8950 + 2080 are unacceptable, but what about just the CPU? I've was planning to get it with liquid metal and use throttlestop to undervolt (as I've done in the 13R3). I do not play AAA titles on the go, but want to have just one computer (desktop-like when at home and as portable as possible if needed). Is this a viable option? I checked another thread with benchmarks on CB20 and it was pretty bad :(