*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't really see inorganic LED displays replacing OLED - they require high temperature semiconductor manufacturing techniques that aren't suited to being done on large sheets of glass, consume more power and so require more cooling.

And there's also no incentive in a consumer market to produce a screen that will last 10+ years.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  2. Miko Skye

Miko Skye Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Approx 15cm by 7cm by 2cm. It is a big brick !!

propeldragon likes this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's tiny compared to the 330 watt brick I've had in every laptop since the past 5 years! Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Miko Skye and Digits like this.
  4. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Still a manageable size.. But what is the weight?

5. Miko Skye

Miko Skye Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So true. Given this is my first proper gaming laptop, the power brick is nearly as big and as heavy and the ultrabook i was replacing!!

Not that heavy, maybe 300g or a bit more, but certainly doesn't notice too much when carried with the laptop in a handheld / shoulder messenger bag

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Flying Endeavor and Spartan like this.
  6. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    And again, like I mentioned earlier, you are probably talking about older OLED technologies, as well as OLED TVs and smartphones. You are missing out on a lot of great experiences. Even if my 13 R3 OLED develops a burn-in or color degradation in a year or two from now, that would be 3.5-4.5 years of a blast. By then, I would upgrade it to another machine anyway or just buy a new OLED panel for it and keep enjoying the best screen! And that's a big "IF" as there are no signs of burn-in or color changes present at all. In fact, I've searched across the web to find any videos of AW 13 OLED burn-in but there aren't any and only a single reported case of a burn-in, even though it's unclear whether the owner was able to reverse the damage. And that's a 2.5 years after the release date of a very popular gaming laptop. Based on my experience, I will buy another AW with OLED hands down. In fact, from now on it's a must for me. If you check my E485 thread, I recently upgraded it to a 100% sRGB, high contrast panel, but it pales in comparison to my OLED screen. The difference is so huge that I simply can't 'downgrade' at this point. I don't know how people can even consider a standard 1080p IPS panel nowadays. Granted I'd been spoiled by the HP's DreamColor long before joining the AW camp. Still, there's no going back to anything less than a 2k OLED for me. And yes, my samsung smartphone also has an OLED panel, and it's showing a color degradation after a year of use, but that's a whole another story and a different technology. Don't mix the two.

c69k likes this.
  7. davidmp

davidmp Newbie

Reputations:
    My unit with RTX 2060 with 144Hz panel had the same exact light bleed. It would show through in applications and while watching videos. Dell offered to replace the LCD but I was also having battery issues so I am getting a replacement and hope the Dell vendor lottery is good to me.

8. propeldragon

propeldragon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you sure? That's the smaller than my 180 watt psu I got.

9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am talking about modern ones. TV's released only a year and a half ago. Also modern Samsung phones since the S6 up to the S9 (cant comment on the S10). All my Samsungs had severe burnin after just 8 months of use (max automatic brightness outdoors). I have friends with Oled TV's and you see gaming huds burned in after about a year of use.

De AW13 wasnt THAT populair (thats why it is also discontinued). But a lot of users just dont tend to notice it. Also in worst case scenarios on amoled smartphones.

The screens in the AW13 where just Samsung Oled as well, not that different from smartphones. No LG style oled.

Aivxtla and c69k like this.
  10. canoekoh

canoekoh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    so i am well aware of the science behind oled burn-in.

but i have a 2016 AW13R3 oled (6700hq version) that I am still using to this day. i work at home from my computer so my computer is usually operating 12-16 hours everyday, non-stop.

and let me tell you: there is no oled burn-in. idk how this is possible but i swear to all that is holy, there is no oled burn-in. honestly i can't quite believe it either.

i will be looking to upgrade my laptop next year when the 3000 gtx cards come out and by then, even if burn-in has developed, i will have been well-served by a laptop with a best-in-class screen for 4 years. i think it's safe to say, oled burn-in should not be a consideration.

Kuro Kensei, c69k and propeldragon like this.