*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    I thought about waiting for this. I was more looking forward to the m17 getting something similar. But, knowing my luck that's not gonna be for awhile. And honestly my girlfriend said it best. We were at bestbuy one day and I showed her the OLED Tvs. She was floored at how nice they looked. I explained to her some of the tech about how they worked. But, she pointed out that the non OLED right next to it still had a great display. . .and at the fraction of the cost. And I have to agree with her. Until OLED is more standard I'll pass on it and be happy with what I have.

2. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OLED TVs at bestbuy are not quite the same as laptop OLED. You have to experience it in order to fully appreciate. After 2.5 years of ownership of my AW 13 R3, I can't stand any other screen, no matter the refresh rate or any other specs. To me, that 300-400$ extra cost is more justifiable than upgrading Ngreedia 2070 to 2080. In fact, if I were to buy a m15 today, it would have a 2060 + OLED most definitely.

3. sn00ka

sn00ka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For media most definitely but to game at 4K 60fps would be challenging unless you have the top of the line.

4. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unless you can see the pixels on a 15" 1080p screen at normal viewing distance, I really cant see the point in having more of them!

I had a QHD work laptop and to make it readable I had to set the scale factor in Windows to 125-150% which left me with less desktop space than if it had had a 1080p screen and looked pants as well as it was scaled.

This logic helped me choose a 1080p screen for my m15 even though 4k is way better for bragging...

5. sn00ka

sn00ka Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Scaling never gave any hinderance with the 13 r3 oled at least not to me. Games that I am able to play at 2k look amazing on this panel.

propeldragon, Kuro Kensei and c69k like this.
  6. nemoris

nemoris Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah 1080 is way too low this day and age. My phone has more pixels than that.

7. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Doesn't mean your eyes can see them though! Marketing always wants to sell you bigger numbers!

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. childprotectorofthenight

childprotectorofthenight Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It’s pretty messed up dell charges $300 for a Toshiba 512 ssd when I can get the 500gb Samsung 970 evo for $149. On top of that. They won’t give you the 90 watt battery without the 256gb ssd which cost $149. Anyone have advice on getting around the upcharge here?

9. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope and that's the SSD that is covered under their warranty too. I'd suggest maybe you sell it and pay the difference?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Yeah but your phone can't play something like The Witcher 3 at max setting at that resolution and get 144hz now can it? ;) I'll take less pixels at a higher refresh rate any day of the week over more pixels at a lower refresh rate.