*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    I'm using K5 Pro on my 17 R4 for everything but GPU and CPU (Conductonaut on them) and so far so good.

2. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How did you apply the thermal paste? 3/4 line of the CPU die and X for GPU??

Vasudev likes this.
  3. TerroN

TerroN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's hardo to clean/remove?

4. TerroN

TerroN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Spread on die

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    For ICD just line or dot method will do. For gelid,Kryonaut, maker gel spread method gives best performance.

6. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    I haven't repasted yet, so i honestly don't know :)

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    K5 pro becomes a mess if you use too much and its quite thick too. You need to use quantity of alcohol or articlean 1 and 2 to get rid off it cleanly.

8. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not sure if it's worth the potential mess. High quality thermal pads like Fujipoly offer up to 20W/mk heat transfer which is at least 3 to 4 times better than K5. Personally, I wouldn't use Conductonaut either (or any other LM for that matter). With LM you are supposed to do it once and forget, but there's a risk of a bad thermal pad application, poor HS pressure, etc. The cost of LM related mess is huge on its own. I've repasted my laptops hundreds of times in the last 10 years, and to this day, with all the care and precision, I can't guarantee a perfect application each and every time. So I always leave myself a quick way out by not using LM. Less mess and fast clean-up/repaste/repad. Especially so, when dealing with AW products, where you have to adjust the HS and play with the pressure and pad thickness. You can have a perfect LM job, but coupled with mediocre thermal pads and poor HS pressure it won't save your system from overheating. On the flip side, using high quality pads, top thermal paste like Kryonaut, adjusting the HS, - the results will be great and you won't be reluctant to reopen the box each and every time there's a better paste/pads on the market. A holistic approach is always best in my view.

c69k, Terreos and Vasudev like this.
  9. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There have been reports of the USB port next to the Ethernet not working or disconnecting when using a LAN connection. Can anyone test it if it's working correctly now? Maybe it was a faulty unit or driver problem.

10. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Well I got my unit in just before I left for work. Just had enough time to install a few things and some configurations. Early impressions coming from the Area 51m. Pretty damn good. I thought I'd hate the keyboard, but it has a pretty nice throw for a chicklet keyboard. Keys are still a touch small, but placement seems useable. Trackpad is better than the Area 51m. Since the lower part that is clickable is still useable as a track pad it's actually bigger than the area 51m's. Could do with a ring light though. Lol.

And the screen seemed to have even backlighting and no dead pixels. So aces! Once I get home I'll find out if mine is gonna need repasted.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.