*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well, a lotpeople in my country have actively suggested either ROG or MSI. Those are two popular brands here. However, ASUS has some rather questionable support but affordable devices and MSI also tends to be the same only with a slightly higher price tag. As for the ROG, I found the GL703 with an RTX 2070 (configured from HIDEvolution) to be quite a good deal considering it costs around the same AW M15 with an RTX 2060 (also configured from HIDEvolution) Although, the warranty and support is my issue with the ROG.... they have been giving me the run around every time I inquire regarding their warranty policy.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You are definitely asking all the right questions. In the end, it is your hard earned money that you need to make sure gets invested in the manner that best meets your needs. A company with difficulty in getting support is a red herring/warning sign. Purchasing through HID Evolution and getting their warranty option is a good risk mitigator. You are going to find that the net cost of each of the laptops you consider are approximately in the same range. Think about how long you want to keep the laptop, expected level of customer support you may need assuming normal issues. Also, have a basic plan for what to do when the system goes down unexpectedly and you find your options limited.

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    so the FN keys won't work right?

4. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Indeed, I am hoping to get the most out of it. Currently, I am leaning more towards DELL because they have been pretty straightforward, honest, and not to mention respectful in their interactions with me, plus they also have the added benefit of warranty extensions, an excellent bonus. Also, Build quality wise, the M15 is built like a tank. XD

5. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm on a pair of external monitors so cant test the brightness but volume controls on function keys seem to work.

6. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't got thunderbolt working on Ubuntu yet though - will probably try that later this week.

7. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    Oh hell... . >.> I called up one of official DELL Concept Stores here in the Philippines and I spoke with one of the DELL Philippine Representatives... And he said that Alienware Laptops are not supported locally in the Philippines... I may get the Premium Warranty and Transfer it here, but there is NO Guarantee that I would have the laptop actually fixed or serviced due to a lack of parts and support for the laptop locally.. According to them, the only gaming laptops DELL supports in my country are the G7 GTX10 Series and below... If I get an Alienware laptop, most likely I would need to have it shipped abroad for repairs.. And any instance of shipping would be shouldered by me... >.> I told him what the DELL US Support website Chat Reps told me I would get full coverage, but he still said that the Alienware Systems are not supported locally.. He will confirm it though with his higher ups.. Hopefully he gives me good news... There are a few stores here who offer the Alienware M15 but they are not exactly legitimate resellers and they offer "gray market" units with local shop warranty only... of course...

I also got in contact with Gigabyte/Aorus through their website via live chat regarding their Aorus 15 Line-up, particularly the Aorus 15 X9 (RTX2070), and they too said that they do not have coverage for their laptops in the Philippines.

Hopefully the DELL PH representative would come back to me with some good news. I am just puzzled considering there are Alienware 15 owners in the PH who have gotten support for their laptops. Hopefully the M15 would also be the same. Otherwise.. I might have to rely wholly on HIDevolution's HIPS warranty to get the warranty coverages I need, but yeah.. That would leave me vulnerable to the extremely corrupt PH Bureau of Customs. Either that or I might have to reconsider the GL703 once more... ASUS did confirm to me via phone that they would support my product locally under warranty even if bought from another country...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  8. LoganWade

LoganWade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That sucks I hope you get good news as well. Have you tried calling HID support and asking them about how they would handle a repair if you purchased through them?

Vasudev and Flying Endeavor like this.
  9. Flying Endeavor

Reputations:
    They do have a HIPS option wherein they would handle two way shipping of the laptop twice per year. Although, they would not shoulder any import duties or taxes based on their warranty policy. That is understandable. Unfortunately for me, the PH Bureau of Customs is Extremely notorious... I am afraid of what might happen to my laptop when it passes through them.

Of course, that would also mean excessive delays for when I need to have the laptop repaired, since I have to ship it abroad and then back again.

10. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there a PH DELL website where you can order the Alienware? If yes then it's supported and I would contact you local tech support with this question. That's how I got confirmation regarding my warranty in Europe. If it's sold via local website then it should have coverage.