*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. CptXabaras

CptXabaras Overclocked, Overvolted, Liquid Cooled

Reputations:
    On Mexican Dell Site they got the 1180 max-q, https://www.dell.com/mx/p/alienware...6125680w10s_120&model_id=alienware-m15-laptop

My guess is that is going to perform at least as a 1080 max-q, which would suite me just fine. Not really convinced about the rtx cards

Edit, what gives, i'll do the guinea pig, just pulled the trigger on the 1180 max-q version. i'm abroad for work and won't get my hands on it before the 20 of april. Will let you know

Edit 2.
    After some more research on the web, i've found another user on reddit, from germany, that had found the same 1180 max q config on the dell german website. And it was apparently a typo that has been corrected, the card is an RTX-2080 max q.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  2. LoganWade

LoganWade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  3. Quikj

Quikj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's time to finally replace my old trusty M15x that I'm currently typing this out on. I can't speak highly enough of it, as it's lasted me 9 years and continues to soldier on. It's obviously been showing it's age for awhile and I'm finally willing to retire it.

Planning on pulling the trigger on an m15 with an 8750H, 8GB RAM, 1080p 60Hz, 1060 gtx, 256 GB SSD, 9WHr battery. I'm aiming for portable power, in that order. It's mostly going to be a mobile workstation for me, compiling source code, rendering video and some CAD design. I'll also want to play some games like the Master Chief Collection, Forza and sports games like FIFA and NBA 2K. I'm mostly a console gamer, so it doesn't need to be able to run everything at the highest settings for hours on end. I just want to be able to fire up a game in a terminal when my flight gets delayed.

I've read nearly every page of this threat so far, but I still have a few questions:

1) In real world use, how much battery life would I sacrifice by opting for the 144Hz screen?
    2) Can the 2nd m.2 slot accept a SATA SSD or does it have to be NVMe? I like the idea of being able to drop a $70 500GB drive into that 2nd slot the day I get my machine.
    3) Have the recent BIOS updates with increased fan control made a noticeable effect on the thermal situation? I'm used to 1st gen i7 processors which ran hot, but the reported early temperatures here concern me a bit. Also, when gaming, I always prop the back of my laptop up.
    4) Is it any more straightforward to dual boot Win10 and Ubuntu? I'm a Linux guy, so this is pretty important to me.

Thanks for your answers to any and all of these questions.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  4. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello guys, any users with the RTX2060 version that wouldn't mind sharing a screenshot of the GPU-Z information. Thanks!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Truth be told, m15 won't even hold a candle to your current M15x.
    Depends on dell for linux compatibility, latest BIOS do help but you can't rollback to older version in case it bricks and all the FW throttling mechanisms are in place.
    M.2 2280 can accept both SATA and NVMe.
    Thermal issues are present even now unless you can repaste and repad them.

6. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've bought 3 laptops from DELL USA so far all with premium warranty and transferred it to Europe and I can happily recommend it. They always try to help and you can upgrade your computer as long as you don't break anything. They also did not make any problems with warranty claims. One thing to consider though, get a longer warranty period at the beginning as extending can be expensive.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  7. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    All the more reason to buy from them :) I like to have that kind of assurance. And well.. I might have to only get a 1 Year premium warranty initially (Trying to Get the best specs for my current budget)... I would just extend it once it gets transferred to my country..

8. LoganWade

LoganWade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1. I don't think you'd sacrifice any battery life with the 144hz, I had the 144hz and the default profile locked it to 30hz on battery.
    2. Only one of the m.2 slots supports SATA: https://www.dell.com/support/manual...c1db57-ee24-4137-84bf-aece066a8ae9&lang=en-us
    3. I didn't have any fan issues with mine. With the back of your laptop propped it will be better. After a repaste I saw a serious decrease in temps, however, they completely missed a spot on the cpu with the factory paste. The cores did stay under the 80s with a cooling pad, well under the 90s without.
    4. I dual booted between 2 windows 10 installs. I didn't have it long enough to try setting up Ubuntu, but would have over the second win 10 drive.

9. Quikj

Quikj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the responses.

Why shouldn't I expect the m15 to be inferior to my M15x? In what area? Build quality?

I've repasted my CPU and GPU multiple times and plan on doing so with the m15. Hopefully, I get lucky with a relatively cool running CPU.

Seems like I'll just have to figure out the Ubuntu dual boot once it gets here.

10. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you search this thread you'll find that a couple of us do have Ubuntu dual boots working. I had some issues with some of the BIOS versions, but it does work.