*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    They actually added the option to disable hyper threading a month ago through a bios update. It is indeed available

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

c69k likes this.
  2. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry for bothering you, but have you been able to check how the system behaves with the battery disconnected? Preferably with both the 180 and 240 power adapters.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  3. LoganWade

LoganWade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No I haven't. I only got the 240w power adapter with my m15. I think only the lower gpu's come with the 180w. If I don't get a chance to try tonight, I won't get a chance at all. I'm sending it back and getting an area-51m. With a discount it was an even trade for a 2070 version.

On thing I did notice, is that by default, it was locked to 30fps while gaming on battery. I brought it to work to play some Devil May Cry 5 during lunch, which ran at 144+fps on the power supply.

4. LoganWade

Reputations:
    I must have gotten lucky with my screen then. I ordered directly from dell and had zero backlight bleed on the 1080p/144hz option with nebula red. I keep trying to find some sort of light bleed by looking at it from angles i'd never use it and couldn't find any, I was simply amazed at the quality. And even though it was only a 1080p, the colors very vibrant, even at low brightness. The quality was simply ridiculous.

Flying Endeavor likes this.
  5. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    These 'only 1080p' comments on a 15" screen do make me LOL. I make the screen to be about 345x200mm in size which makes the pixels about 0.18x0.19mm - teeny-tiny in science-speak!

6. redsfan7035

redsfan7035 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Why the swap to the 51m? I mean even if it’s the same price, it is a much bigger and heavier system that has a host of its own problems.

propeldragon and Digits like this.
  7. Flying Endeavor

Flying Endeavor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Excellent :) Thank you for the reply. Also.. How is the standard SSHD that DELL provides? Is it decent? And how bright does your sceen get? Some review sites say that the screen hits nearly 350 nits, whilst others say it only gets below 280 nits of brightness particularly for the 144hz panel. I am nearing the time wherein I would need to pull the trigger on a laptop and the M15 is the primary laptop I am gunning for.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  8. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I thought it came with the 180W and you got the bigger one later. If you don't get to check than it's OK. It's good that they started giving the bigger PSU, at least to some configurations now.

9. Nexty123

Nexty123 Newbie

Reputations:
  10. LoganWade

Reputations:
    I pulled out an old 17" laptop I used 7 years ago. It's 8lbs and dimensions are bigger than the area-51m; I used to carry that thing around everywhere. When it's battery died, I carried the power brick.

Desktop power I can carry anywhere? yes please. tbh, it was a really tough decision. I really like the m15. I really liked everything about the one I received other than the pasting issues, which I expect as a possibility to happen with any factory built computer, I don't blame the m15 for that issue. My first few days with it before the cpu kept overheating were a dream. I would have been really happy if it had continued that way for the next few years. The m15 I ordered performed as expected.

The deciding factor was even better performance for the same price with more upgradeability and repairable parts. I personally don't have an issue with it's weight or size.