*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Has anyone benchmarked the 2070? I am interested to see if it’s the 80w or 90w model!
    Hoping it is the 90w like the Razer Blade

3. Talade

Talade Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, I plumped for a 15m coming of the back of a 17 r4.

Got 16 gigs ram/144 screen/90 w/hr battery and the 1070 Max q at a very reasonable price compared to the RTX variant.

I figure the difference between that an RTX 2060 and 1070 is minimal and didn't warrant the £300/391 USD surcharge. I will wait until the Turing drivers have matured before plumping for anything higher at this time.

Used my head instead of my heart for once will be interested to see which is right!

4. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To those who already have rtx versions of the m15:
    -Can you run HWinfo while playing a demanding game (like BF V, Far Cry 5/New Dawn, Metro Exodus) and post a screenshot? (I would be interested in the cpu clocks, maximum temperatures and noise)? (Undervolting is the easiest way to improve temperatures, as it reduces power consumption which leads to less heat)
    -Have you tried lifting the back of the laptop (just 1 or 2 cm) - the previous generations really benefited well by lifting up the laptop. How much did your temperatures improve?
    -When ordered with just a single m.2 SSD, did you get the HDD Caddy and HDD Cable connectors? (only with 60wh versions)
    -How do you like the m15 rtx overall?

5. LoganWade

LoganWade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I finally got my tracking number today, it says my 2070 m15 will arrive tomorrow. Although, with the storms in the area, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets delayed. I plan on testing lots of things when it arrives. The only change I'll be making before testing is adding an ssd I already have in my possession.

6. redsfan7035

redsfan7035 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, yours will most likely be delayed. I received my tracking yesterday at about 1am and it’s supposed to arrive today but no tracking update. Still just says info has been passed to FedEx but no package yet.

7. neelsn007

neelsn007 Newbie

Reputations:
    So I was wondering the same thing before ordering and asked a friendly dude on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/arzado/just_got_my_m15_wrtx_2070_ama/?sort=new

His investigation seems to indicate the higher wattage and he got even higher clock speeds than the Razer!

I will probably order a 2070 max-q model so will be sure to update on here if I get my hands on it. In my experience Dell usually do go for the higher speed / OC cards in their Alienware machines. Would be great if other could post their results too.

ninja2000 likes this.
  8. Enni

Enni Newbie

Reputations:
    Are custom fan curves in AWCC working for anyone? Release notes of nearly every new release of either bios or AWCC claim that they have been fixed, but they are still not working on my unit... (newest AWCC and 1.41 bios). Still the same behavior as with the initial release: Sometimes the fans react to what you set in AWCC only to return to the normal automatic behavior a minute later.

9. LoganWade

LoganWade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My m15 just arrived! I'll post more when I can.

EDIT: I have been spoiled by SSD's for too long. I forgot how slow other HDDs are. Feels like forever getting everything transferred to the SSD. Boot times are horrendous without it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  10. Miko Skye

Miko Skye Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all.

Thought I would give some info now I have had time to play with my m15. I am quite basic and very much a user when it comes to computers, so please ask if I have mis-stated something or you want more info.

1. Specification: i9 2080 UHD screen. 2x 500gb sdd.
    2. Photoshop use: temps rise to 95 on cpu and fans spin up to 100% on both cool and performance profiles. No noticeable throttling or slow down in app (didnt log, but glanced at AWCC dash to the side on occasion). These are huge files so I expected some load on the cpu. Coming from an i7 desktop, the i9 is blowing me away..so yay for that!
    3. Gaming use: Shadow of Tomb Raider game - logged through HWinfo64. 1500 logged lines 0
    CPU - 5% of logged lines showed temps above 95c on all cores. Some peaking on one core, which makes me think that the cooler is not evenly loaded onto the cpu. But there was only 5% throttling logged. The speed stabilised across all cores at around 4.3ghz.
    GPU - max temp 75c. peak clock speed 1800.​
    4. keyboard - easy to use once you get used to the offset due to the keypad on the right.
    5. Build quality - solid!!
    6. Screen - awesome, and I am very picky on screen cos of photography. The surround though...talk about dust magnet!! And cos it is shiny, you cant help but see the dust!!

As a general observation and turning off the monitoring - gaming is smooth and wonderful, even turning res down to 1440p in game. didnt even feel the need to turn on fps monitor. This is one heck of a laptop, and, even though it is a noisy beast when at 100% fans speed, it is not really intollerable given what it is doing. I did have to raise the back off the desk to allow the base fans to suck in more air. I might invest in a proper stand and maybe even an active base with fans (are these any good, I wonder?).

I would not be so happy to run this on my lap, pretty sure it would run too hot. But given that mostly it will be on a desk, either at home or in a café / hotel, this is not a show stopper.

Hope that helps people in whether this is a good laptop. Happy to take any questions, and I will do what I can to answer.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    c69k likes this.