*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. 944S2

944S2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Custom fan control, and even the stock fan profiles don't seem to be working on either BIOS version for my RTX M15. CPU/GPU fan are whirring away at idle. I suppose I could re-paste, but I'd rather not since temps aren't really that high while gaming. Didn't think fan/clock curves could be more annoying than the 7577, and yet here I am.

Annoying, since it's an otherwise very excellent system.

2. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    WHat was wrong with the fan curves on the 7577?

3. 944S2

Reputations:
    Once the fans started they didn’t like to spin back down. There were times after a gaming session that the CPU fan would still be going with temps below 45C. I’d have to put it in sleep mode for a minute to get them to stop. Both fans also spun together, regardless of GPU activity.

4. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Got my M15 yesterday but it comes with no screws for the M.2 slots. Anyone who upgraded the HDD to M.2 SSDs, how did they go about it?
    Any place you can link where you bought the screws from?

5. chabber

chabber Newbie

Reputations:
    I stole the middle screw of the 3 battery screws. I replaced it later that night when I got home, because I have extras there.

c69k likes this.
  6. 944S2

Reputations:
    It's an M2x3mm with a large head. I stole one from my old 7577 until I could order a set of laptop screws from amazon.

7. redsfan7035

redsfan7035 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    At least that seems like something they can hopefully fix in a BIOS update. I'm happy to hear that they seem to have done a better job pasting the heatsinks this go around if you're getting good temps that don't make a re-paste worth it. I'm hoping to have my delivered sometime this week, keeping my fingers crossed it'll at least be good to go temp wise out of the box. It seems Alienware somewhat listens to software bugs, I'll remain optimistic they fix the fan controls.

Anything else you've come across or further insight you'd like to share? People started receiving them this past week but I haven't read any real reviews but the one posted a few posts before you.

8. 944S2

Reputations:
    Yeah, it seems like they are doing a better job with the paste this time around. Didn't have any noticeable throttling while playing BFV.

I wish the trackpad was a little bigger, but it works just fine. Nothing else except the fan noise at idle/while browsing even on battery, which annoys the hell out of me. Easy enough to get into, very solid build quality. It's quick with my two Samsung drives in there, GPU holds very high boost clocks. The red case looks really special. If they can fix the fan issue I'm having I'll be an extremely happy customer.

9. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Could you link me the laptop screws you ordered from amazon?

10. 944S2

Reputations:
    Alias and B0B like this.