*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wise decision.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  2. GreatD

GreatD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I see most of the thermal pads arent very indented by the chips/ GPU VRM'S from the motherboard. Is this normal?? I see the CPU VRM thermal pad are nicely making contact as the indentation in the thermal pad is deeper for better thermal conductivity to the heatsink. Is this all normal or should all thermal pads be nicely indented by the Memory/VRM chips to make the best thermal conductivity?? Can any confirm ✌

3. Miko Skye

Miko Skye Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello all, new gaming laptop guy here. Hoping my new m15 turns up this week. :)

I am replacing my old gaming desktop and a laptop. Cant wait. As i try to contain the need to refresh the tracking page every 5 mins, i was wondering if someone could give me a piece of advice.

Most of the time when i am gaming, the laptop will be on a deak connected to my predator x34 monitor and hardwired into my home network. I see that the ethernet port is on the side of the laptop. But is there a better / tidier way to connect the laptop to ethernet and a monitor so cables all go out the back?

Silly question, probably, but so excited!!!

Thanks to all.

P.s. spec is i9 2080, with 4k screen.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  4. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well except that he'll never know whether repeating has made things better,worse or no different than stock!

unlogic likes this.
  5. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If money is no object, treat yourself to a TB3 dock and hang USB and ethernet off that. I have a Qnap 10Gb ethernet dongle on my TB3 port so now only USB is on the side. I may eventually fix that via a AW Graphics Amp for USB and more GPU. I might wait for the 21xx cards and some RTX content first though.

Congrats on your new machine!

Miko Skye likes this.
  6. unlogic

unlogic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone here bought m15 with 4k display? I wonder how good the 4k panel is.

7. LoganWade

LoganWade Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a dell TB3 triple display dock that supports 4K I use at home. It's more for working than gaming though. It even powers my 2 current laptops when plugged in. I leave 2 monitors, network, keyboard, mouse, and headset plugged into it so that when I work from home I just hook up my work laptop to that one TB3 connection and I'm set. I don't know that I would leave a gaming monitor plugged into the dock without testing it's performance directly connected and then through the dock to get the most out of it. However, my SteelSeries headset and Razer DeathAdder Elite work great off of the dock, as does networking.

EDIT: You will still need to plug in the power cord for the m15 as the dock won't supply enough power by itself to run it.

Miko Skye likes this.
  8. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Just knew it had to be done eh? Lol

9. Miko Skye

Miko Skye Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    unlogic likes this.
  10. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    So, what's the consensus, Guys? After repasting/repadding/undervolting, is it possible to achieve stable temps below 80C under full load?