*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you've only got a single TB3 connection, you're always going to share the total bandwidth on those 4 pcie lanes - no magic in the external box can change that!

The other thing that appeals to me about the AGA is that it comes with several feet of cable - long TB3 cables are very pricey and I don't want an EGPU box on top of my desk.

Being able to do it all including power with one cable is very cool though - I loved that on my work Thinkpad Carbon.

2. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    The Razer Core v2 uses 2 TB3 controllers, one slaved off of the other. The primary controller manages just the eGPU and the connection back to the laptop. The secondary controller handles the USB peripherals and GbE. The box prioritizes the eGPU traffic so that gaming performance does not suffer from using the network or an external hard drive. In theory this all sounds wonderful! In practice, when I tried to use a Core v2 with my AW 15 r3 it was unusable with anything plugged into the USB ports. Period. Not just 3D performance was iffy, the laptop itself was unusable, something weird was happening with CPU interrupts where the OS would hang for about 2 seconds every 5 seconds (even the system clock would hang and then jump forward) it was a mess.

After trying this out (I was really hoping it would work so I could have a hot-pluggable eGPU and "dock") I returned the Core v2 and bought an AGA (for 1/3 the price). I now have to shut down the laptop to dock/undock, other than that it has 100% met or exceeded my expectations and the performance has been rock solid without a single hiccup. It would have been awesome if AW had figured out how to also feed the laptop power over the AGA cable as well but what can you do.

Oh, and the AGA consistently performed measurably better than a TB3 solution.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not on Core V2 benchmarks and game FPS are similar with full pheriperals plugged and without.
    As mentioned above, I’ll make benchmarks comparison on egpu.io and PM you. Of course if you put too many pheriperals like using again hub on USB ports it’ll cause dis and reconnecting issues since there’s also limited bandwidth on its io port, I believe 5gb.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Digits

Reputations:
    Mice, keyboards etc aren't going to eat much bandwidth but as well as game I also do stuff like video editing on my machine which keeps both my (onboard) GPU and 10GbE network adapter very busy.

I imagine the Razer Core 2 is a great bit of kit but at the price it would need to be!

I'm not saying that thunderbolt 3 is useless for EGPUs, just that if you can avoid sharing bandwidth that's usually better, and daisy chaining is still sharing bandwidth...

5. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    Here is a link to my post a while back. I had more thoughts on the page prior in the same thread. I obviously am guilty of a very narrow test case (one game) but that was a limitation of what I have available.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ll-13-15-and-17.770323/page-325#post-10699241

The long and short of it is this, if you have a laptop with the AGA port....USE THE AGA! It is

-cheaper
    -simpler
    -more reliable
    -better performance

The only real 2 cons I can think of (not counting appearance since that is subjective) are that you cannot hot plug the AGA and it is Alienware specific (proprietary)

Digits and Vasudev like this.
  6. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for linking that, I’m agree due cheaper and better performance but in simpler point I’ve to say no, can you change gpu within 2 minutes, I can do that with a hand, but I mean with all full closed again. Idk about reliably point, yes it’s more expensive but personally i like the build quality and look way better on desk compared enclosure that exist in the world:)
    Yes it’s right mouse, keyboard doesn’t take much bandwidth, you can try put usb hub with 4 ports and add it to your enclosure (idk exactly on AGA, but other enclosure like gaming box would reach the limit bandwidth) that what I meant above. Talking would disturb this thread here’s just the comparison between all ports being used and no ports being used. Using cuda Z to measure TB3 bandwidth speed on egpu setting.
    60742EE3-8F2A-4AD7-9941-F3908809146B.jpeg
    B14D740D-FD75-4069-82B5-82456C4A6F26.jpeg
    Note there’s also hdd, Keyboard that is still not supported on that Synapse 3 and ethernet connection that unfortunately can’t be shown on screenshot.
    And here’s the 3Dmark with and without comparison.
    https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/6137759/spy/6137625

Vasudev likes this.
  7. cookinwitdiesel

Reputations:
    I do not have the images anymore (was mid 2017 when I did the tests) but CUDA-Z was showing higher throughput with the AGA vs Core V2 which I attribute to the overhead associated with running TB3.

8. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Greetings Brothers and Sisters!!

Today, I become a member of the m15 club. I just submitted my pre-order for the m15. Big thanks out to @Donald@HIDevolution for his assistance. Choosing a laptop has not been an easy undertaking. Sometimes its better to sit back and read, learn, and figure out what exactly I need the laptop to do.

Specs are important, but following the issue of failing SSD on my GS63VR, ability to access and replace failed components quickly shot to the top.

Don't worry. I still have my sights on a custom liquid cooled, 9980 XE with overclocked 2080Ti. I'll just have to reset my timeline. Until then, my avatar will suffice. :)

Spartan likes this.
  9. PotatoSupremacist

PotatoSupremacist Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently got my m15, but I've been having issues with the battery. With an underclocked and turbo-disabled CPU, lighting effects turned off, screen at minimum brightness, and battery saver on, I'm only getting around 4 hours at pure idle, and about 3 watching YouTube. HWInfo gives shows really high power draws, with a discharge rate of 16-18 watts idle and 23-25 watching YouTube. Is this an issue with the battery or something weird with software?

10. Digits

Reputations:
    What battery size do you have? If you're pulling 15-18W the runtime will be 6 hours tops with the bigger 90Wh battery...