*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Sako887

Sako887 Newbie

Reputations:
    So replacing thermal pads and re-pasting are not a proper fix? What would be considered a proper fix?

And the reason why I don’t want to run the cpu at it’s max is due to high temps. Personally I would rather sacrifice 400mhz and know that my cpu isn’t running close to its operating temp threshold (which it was under full load without limits)

This was the road I went down to attempt to drop my temps and I’m happy with the results. It’s just another option to try for those still looking for a fix.

Trystan Baltazar likes this.
  2. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe it's fixed in a firmware revision on the drive or the BIOS of the machine. There were a few of us that had the same issue with this same drive and the 17r4/17r5 as well (I was one of them), so maybe it's something shared across alienware laptops.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's the highest anyone has been able to overclock the 1070 max q? I have +400 MHz on the memory and +200 on the core clock and the temps don't go above 72C

4. Kwaz

Kwaz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I'm thinking about asking for a refund or replacement.

I'm still getting horrible FPS with the 1070 and abysmal battery life. Solely running Excel and Chrome I get about 1.5 hours of battery life which is pathetic.

I also continually get no response from Alienware on the issues. When I call them directly I get someone from India who doesn't seem to know much about PCs. It's awfully disheartening considering that I paid for 3 years of the top level support.

Lastly, I fully decked out my Alienware m15 order, and for them to announce the OLED, i9 and 2070 / 2080 just after the close of my return period, I'm pretty miffed and feel gypped.

5. Sako887

Sako887 Newbie

Reputations:
    What kind of GPU temps are you guys seeing while gaming? I hit a max of 81 while playing Call of Duty Black Ops 4 blackout mode on very high settings scaling down to 1080 (I have the 4K screen).

6. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I returned mine for a refund.

c69k likes this.
  7. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine has also gone back for a refund. The alien head power button light stopped working and they currently have no fix for it!

Think I will wait to see how the 20 series pans out and pick up a new laptop then

c69k likes this.
  8. Kwaz

Kwaz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Were you within the 30 days or after?

9. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry if this was already asked.
    Does Alienware m15 support windows hello?
    I didn't see anything about this on the alienware m15 product page, don't seem to see any IR camera on this machine either. Although in chat the sales rep told me it does support it. Wanted to ask here to make sure.

10. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No it does not

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk