*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm still waiting on 120 hz oled panels, the oled panels coming out soon are confirmed to be 60hz only

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

My dream m15 would be QHD @ 120 Oled 15.6" panel with 2070 Max q and small built in legs on bottom panel to prop up back AND tobbi eye tracking! That's all I want! But I already have a 1070 Max q so I'm stuck with this for now lol, 2070 is hella expensive, about $700 more than what I paid for my current m15

Man if I had the resources I'd pay to develop a better heat sink for the m15. I honestly think the m15 is the best laptop of all
    It's not heavy
    It's not too thin
    Good form factor
    And I love how easy it is to repaste this thing!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2019
    c69k and Digits like this.
  2. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unless you are a pro gamer, the 120hz average response panel won't be better than a 60Hz ZERO response OLED. Also, those who had a pleasure to own/work/game on a AW 13 OLED, would never go back, not even to a great 120Hz screen, not willingly at any rate. The difference is just night and day.

Aikimox and c69k like this.
  3. Aikimox

Aikimox Weihenstephaner!

Reputations:
    Yup, that's how I feel. All other screens suddenly look bleak and laggy. Was gonna replace my AW 13 but there's no alternative at the moment. m15 + OLED = high hopes!

4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Go opposite way vs. Alienware's design language such as their new m branded models is a good thing. More pipes, more vents and thicker profile. Alienware talk mostly about how thin and slim their models has become. Design is become more important than functionality. Same philosophy as Apple.
    upload_2019-1-11_4-21-55.png

[​IMG]
    Gigabyte will slowly phase out the Aorus X series this year
    The manufacturer will be leaving behind the Aorus X design in favor of a newer narrow-bezel look with more heat pipes, more ventilation, and a slightly thicker profile... The change will hopefully address some of the most common drawback as heat and noise...

Ashtrix, c69k and Rei Fukai like this.
  5. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I broke down and exchanged for a 3rd unit and have some very interesting results during early testing. I did so for a few reasons, but first off I do need to give credit where credit is due - Alienware/Dell Support. After returning my 2nd unit and being approved for a refund, I received an email from a manager/escalation point to ensure my return and refund would go smooth. This was most likely an auto-sent email, but after deciding to give it a 3rd go, I replied to it and received a response within the hour - from the "manager" (it could very well be a made up position/person, but they replied quickly and professionally).

The boring reasons why: for the build quality and specs, I knew I wouldn't get the same deal I got on this as I would anything unveiled at CES. I had already tried multiple other offerings from 2018 and wasn't interested in trying any more. Further, after seeing the price increase due to the RTX (my same build was over $150 msrp) cards and knowing it would be at least 30-60 days before I could get my hands on one, I decided to give the m15 another chance. In my reply to the manager, I specifically stated that I would allow the refund to be cancelled and another unit sent to me if they would extend my refund opportunity for another 30 days, thereby allowing me to return this 3rd unit without penalty with a full 30 days. This was important as my initial 30 days was up - I returned the second unit for a refund on the final day. He approved my conditions and in writing stated I can return for a full refund if it does not meet my expectations.

I also decided to double down and bought an Amplifier and 2070. Long story short on the AMP - I had to disable both the Intel and 1070 GPUs via Device Manager to get it to work without lag in games. So far, with about 30 minutes of gaming - it runs just like a desktop.

So, here's some initial testing with my m15 (8750h/16gb) and AMP (2070) being pushed onto dual 27" monitors and using the laptop screen to house discord:

Out of the box: CPU hitting 100c easily, and averaging 85c. The 2070 averaged about 70c.

ThrottleStop - 144 core/cache and 0 EPP - CPU averaged 67c with the highest being 71c. Difference of only 3c on all cores.

Fantastic temps. Keyboard deck, very obviously doesn't get anywhere near as warm. I only used FFXIV as a test as that is a great combo of CPU/GPU utilization. FPS in my personal house in game (it's instance and has a lot of rendering to do) - 100% GPU utilization and 150fps average. FPS in Kugane (popular town with a lot of player traffic, FFXIV scales GPU utilization down and uses more CPU in zones like this) 70% GPU utilization and 95fps average.

I did a similar test on my desktop (8700k, 16gb, gtx1080) last night. FPS in my personal house was 150fps and FPS in Kugane was 120fps. I believe since the 8700k is more powerful (what, 20-30%?) compared to the 8750h, that this would make sense. I also tested on my desktop around 4am with limited amount of players as compared to 9pm and a lot more players - so not directly a fair comparison. Surprisingly, though, my temps are better - albeit not by much - compared to my desktop (about 10c on the CPU and 5c on the GPU).

Fan noise on balance mode was almost inaudible and my 2070 was barely running its fans. For a laptop and desktop card, this is great imo.

I will do further testing, but I'm pleased. I did spend more money (the 2070 wasn't cheap) but had I ordered an RTX or another offering from last year, I believe it would have been a wash or darn near close. I'm hesitant to say it, but I think I may just have a winner here.

TLDR because I know this was long:

- Made a deal with Dell to get a 3rd exchange instead of a refund
    - Bought a 2070 and AMP to pair it with
    - Using an undervolt of 144 and 0 EPP, I'm getting almost identical performance to my desktop, but better temps.

Kalen and swordofsilence like this.
  6. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you get the 60Whr battery do you get 2 M.2 slots?

7. Kwaz

Kwaz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They all have two m.2 slots.

8. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hah thanks.

This video does tell that if you get the SSD slot you get only 1 M.2 slot..

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    OLED is infectious. I simply won't to a phone w/ no OLED. I felt OLED was really natural and blue light is somewhat lesser than LCD. In dark lit rooms with OLED screen I can browse/use the phone w/o disturbing others and has less eye strain.

Aikimox and c69k like this.
  10. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you get the 60w you do get the 2.5" bay

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk