*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 8400H is I think based on the specs even a more solid CPU than the 7700HQ I7 if it can keep its boost up.

2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I agree with you up to a ceetain point.

Having a laptop with a keyboard that becomes uncomfortably hot is not really a benefit over a CPU that's cooler but will live for much longer than any AW sourced CPU.

Heat + electronics = bad combination. A CPU that runs cool, can OC itself (with the right algorithm embedded within the kernel)

The hexa i7 are not hard to cool, the Asus zephyrus has proven it out of the box. A gaming laptop should not have long battery life, for that you would need to buy an ultrabook with an ULV processor, or a workstation. Gaming laptops are not being dubbed "desktop-replacement" for a reason. They're big, heavy but give alot off raw horse power.

That companies try to milk consumer by slapping "gaming" on a thin laptop does not make it a game-laptop. It's still a thin laptop.

If your CPU cannot reach it's boost speed because of heat, that implies that you cannot use that feature cause it's already crippled. That's like buying an iPhone xs or max or whatever for the cpu power but still limit your CPU because your battery cannot supply enough voltage and current to the CPU. So you limit the performance.

That's not a fix but a workaround. AW has not fixed anything in the last 5 years their Q&A went south, it only got worse. We even got a Twitter account using false advertisements just to get people to buy an broken Dell laptop.

The 17 R5 did not struggle to cool the CPU, the imbalance was still present. Without repasting I could game and OC to 4.4 Ghz on the CPU with the GPU active. Even made a reddit post about it. A BGA (Ball Grid Array) should not be running hot, cause if you game for more than a year @90C after a year of two your CPU will stop working due to the broken BGA's. And it's the BGA that transfers the electrical current from the CPU to the motherboard.

But I do agree if you repaste/repad/balance you can have a wicked machine, but not as the competitors. The m15 looks like a Lenovo Y720 to me, not an AW.

Attached Files:

Alex555 likes this.
  3. Devianti

Devianti Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I pulled the trigger on my order for an m15 today. It was a misfire. Apparently the red chassis are now out of stock (at least ordering from Dell Canada). Waiting to hear back from another rep tomorrow to pick up things.

I've scoured this thread. Partially I think I'm mad for committing to the m15 after reading various experiences - but it's not through ignorance that I choose to persevere; Sure something that can tick a few portable gaming boxes with wonderful refresh rates, but I'm mostly sold on the sub-1080 compromise of the sleeker build to hoof it around with me. That said for the first time I've been tempted by the notion of the AGA and a higher-res monitor to boost my reckless thin laptop purchase.

I'm not a fool. The AGA stuff is a mere pipe dream for me right now (hot CPUs kill 99.9% of all pipe dreams - regardless of the oven being inside or out of the kitchen). And if anyone from HID reads this please accept my apologies - whichever class of new laptop I wanted to go with I was always adamant of a repaste and clean boot with you guys as a minimum. The stock results I've seen around don't give me that compelling need for an instant solution (and I've a few friends that have been fortunate to get amazing results from mere teeny undervolting), so I've decided to get the stock and play with it to see what the deal is before making changes.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  4. Kwaz

Kwaz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Tore my m15 apart and did liquid metal w/ a few coats of Conformal Coating over the exposed elements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also removed this garbage:

[​IMG]

Temps dropped 37C under load from tapped out at 100C. Now sits around 67C under load.

GPU (1070) was also thermal throttling due to incorrect settings from the factory as it was set to 62C max. Alienware support never got back to me. Fixed it with Nvidia Inspector.

Last note, appear to be missing a thermal pad from the factory. Going to take another run through today and replace all of the thermal pads.

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Might as well use SOIC test clip on both chips to mod and flash them. Smaller size is for GPU usually 128k to512k. You can check the model no. written on top of the chip.

6. Kwaz

Kwaz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not really my bag.

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Might as well use SOIC test clip on both chips and mod them and flash them. Smaller size is for GPU usually 128k to512k.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Say hello to m17

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...50h-coffee-lake.810891/page-121#post-10843121

Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is there any chance you can advise how to change throttling point with Nvidia inspector? I noticed my 1070 is doing the same

c69k likes this.
  10. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: