*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. ericpode

ericpode Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just bought the m15 (Oct 2018 version) and I'm already having doubts. Can anyone help?

I sometimes spend long periods off-grid, and use one of those readily available DC-DC converters to power my past (mostly Asus) laptops from a 12 volts DC supply, instead of using the AC power adaptor. Effectively it converts 12 volts DC to 19.5 volts DC. It's always worked great, once you find a converter with a plug/tip that matches the DC plug that connects to the laptop's power socket. (Usually DC-DC converters come with a selection of tips to match the plugs of a variety of laptop manufacturers.)

So I'm now looking for a similar solution for my new m15, but there are a couple of snags:

1. The included m15 AC power supply is rated at 9.23 amps DC output which is quite a bit more than my past laptops, and more than the max output current of all of the DC-DC converters I can find. I don't think this will be a problem as I will probably just be using it to charge the m15 or using it for very light work, so I guess the current draw will be fairly low.

2. Does anyone know if the m15 DC power plug/tip is a standard Dell type? It is quite a bit bigger than my existing laptops, so I'm worried that it might be a new plug specifically for the m15 that I will not be able to find a match for in any DC-DC converter.

3. I've found mention that some/all Dell laptops have some sort of digital interface in their AC power supplies, so the laptop will refuse to work with non-Dell power supplies. This would obviously prevent me from using a DC-DC converter, Does anyone know if the m15 has this abomination, or should I be OK to use a "generic" power supply with it ?

Thanks for any helpful comments.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can only use Dell branded PSU otherwise it'll throw a error Unknown adapter connected and harmful. You can use older Dell inspiron or precision or alienware PSU w/o any issue.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  3. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    In this case, I wouldn't even raise the temp of the GPU above 40-50c in windows in the m15 and it would still end up warmer. Either way, the m15 doesn't allow a 1050 even if you are correct this is the sole cause of the difference (it's not), it's still a lack of options on behalf of the m15 in your best case scenario.

4. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm hoping we see a i5 with the 2060 in it. If the m15 had that, I would be tempted to try it again. The current 8300H runs very well, on par with the 7700HQ, but cooler from what I've seen. If the leaks are to be believed, the 2060 will run 10-15% higher than the 1070. For 1080p gaming, that sounds pretty good to me.

stryderxx and Vasudev like this.
  5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    a 1050 isnt really gamer grade anymore. So why would they offer one in a gaming laptop?

Nintendo Power likes this.
  6. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Because it sounds like their only option to keep the laptop cool to the touch?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  7. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    All high performance gamin glaptops tend to get warm/hot on the keyboard deck. cant defy physics. If there is a GPU underneath your fingers that is running at 65~80c you will feel it when there is just barely a cm of space between your finger and the GPU and some surround 90c VRM's chokes etc next to it. You cannot avoid it.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Depends on the model. Some is a lot worse than others.

upload_2019-1-4_3-56-48.png

Rei Fukai and Vasudev like this.
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah this is the case of that some m15's come with seriously problematic heatsinks. Heatsinks that cannot make contact with the main chip die because of a capacitor pushing the heatpipes up.

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Will still be hot. If the chips run into 100C it will throttle down. Then up, then throttle down. With a sligtly better heatsink, it will run hot over longer periode... See where I go?

Rei Fukai and Vasudev like this.