*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    H emeans that the fans dont turn on at all when only the CPU is being stressed. which clearly isnt correct. The fans are both driven by the CPU, PCH and GPU temps. Not merely only by the GPU temps.

The guy from Disown also said it ran hot. same as the NBC rewiew. Which is logical ofcourse ,onyl so much you can do in a thin chassis.

c69k likes this.
  2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    watch from the 6.00 minute mark. There he litterally says that the fans run loud, but do a good job keeping the temps down. Even the surface temp is alot cooler than AW and it even as a mechanical keyboard. something AW has still nog been able to pull off.

Bob of all trades found it Single channel RAM was bottlenecking the cpu and it still does not run as hot as AW.

raz8020 and Vasudev like this.
  3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I didnt check the videos of the 17 inch version (because thats not comparable to the laptops I limit myself to).

LIke i mentioned before. the OP15 reaches very high surface temps.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I haven't messed with fan speed tables.Have you updated the BIOS to latest one or which version are you using?
    So AWCC fan control works w/o wrecking TS and XTU? Do you have Passive or Super Silent mode?

Rei Fukai likes this.
  5. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I used both and know what I experienced and tested, no need to let others (reviews) tell me what I experienced in person. I got the temps to stay within the same limits and the M15 was no doubt warmer through the entire chassis.

You seem to think gaming / benching / max temps is the only scenario to consider. The GPU model is irrelevant as long as the temps are the same.

6. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The new command center comes with 4 fan profiles. Performance is the most reactive one. Quit is around 2200 and 2500 max when gaming resulting around 30/35 db when gaming. Which is Nice! Performance mode maken my fans come up more quickly and can even ramp down to around 3700 and 3900 when gaming or even less sometimes (depens on my ambient temp)

But the fan profiles do work. Only silly thing AW did is tie the fan profile to a cpu performance profile. Making my CPU clock down more Otten on balanced and quit then on performance mode. Hence the lower noise on quit.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. stryderxx

stryderxx Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I did the same thing. I returned my m15 and will continue to use my r13 for now. I'm still on the market for a new gaming laptop. Lets see what comes out of CES 2019.

TheCloudX and c69k like this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    But thats not how thermals work. You can have a small chip spreading 65c of heat and a big chip spreading 65c of heat. Its not hard to get which one gives more heat to the air......My 1070GTX also is staying around 65c in general but you can bet the surrounding air is much hotter than that of a 1050 which is just a smaller source of heat. It's not the chip temperature that matters directly but how much your heatsink \s are extracting of that heat, 2 larger heatsinks at 65C make the laptop more hot compared to a tiny heatsink of 65C.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  9. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Always the latest as of the time I ditched the laptops, never had the fans not kicking in on CPU load alone and never used CPU performance mode because I hate how the fans dont turn off when idle.

10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You mean 1.0.5?