*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I hope that's the case.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Thats not hwo thermals work.........

You are still comparing hardware that is about 40% slower and uses far less power in a chassis that was originally designed to house a 1060GTX (and in some regions even a 1070 maxQ).

Try the OP15 with the 1060 and then we can continue this conversation :D I posted a link and you can see the surface temps there. I mean the hottest spot they measured is 76 on the bottom in the middle.

3. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Returning the replacement m15 and waiting to see what comes out in the next few months. The replacement actually ran hotter. Keyboard was unbearable after an hour playing FFXIV.

As for the OP15 and 17, those are fantastic deals. Bob and Stephen did fantastic in-depth reviews on them. However, at the end of the day, they are warrantied by Walmart, which doesn't sit well with me. At least with Dell, support has been great. Better than Lenovo and Razer. Dell's biggest issue is sales. That department needs an overhaul. Felt like I was buying a new vehicle, not laptop. Those chassis in the OPs are well known but if something goes wrong I just don't trust Walmart to be able to fix it. I'm definitely ok spending the extra money. But, I can't blame anyone for getting them. Price to performance wise, it may just be the best deal out there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

stryderxx and Vasudev like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    In most newer Dell PCs if GPU is hotter only then the fans ramps up otherwise CPU temps continue to rise to BDPROCHOT values and throttle down cpu clocks. Happens on my old AW( in my signature) too. GPU temps decide the fan speed.

5. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is not the case with the AW15r2/17r3, 15r3/17r4 and up etc

The fans turn on always if the CPU hits 60c. Cant remember from the AW15R1 that I also had but I think i would have noticed if the CPU would go all the way up to 80c and higher without any fans turning on. Simply turning on prime95 would always have turned my CPU fans no matter what from what I recall.

c69k likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You've forgotten everything. The same temp curves are set from echo models and beyond including 17r5. Only in performance mode fans spin when temps are 60C otherwise its 80C for fans to spin at 2500-3500rpms. On linux fans starts at 90-95C CPU temps.

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Same ****y with Aw17 and Aw18. Overclock your i7 Extreme and the fans start ramp up when temp is +90C. Too late if you run it with a nice overclock. Even stock. Everything have gone the wrong way since the 2013 models. At least you have the performance mode now. We had nothing outside Hwinfo fan control. Sad but true.

Vasudev and Rei Fukai like this.
  8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Dude I am typing this on a 15R3 and currently my CPU fan is spinning at low RPM because I have a lot of chrome tabs open and am unpacking a couple of winrar files. The fan is on and spinning.

What you say it simply not true. Unless you might have screwed around with the fan tables in HWinfo, the things you describe dont happen.

Here a screenshot with the fanspeeds when TSbench is running. No GPU load. Dont spread misinformation please.The RPM's mentioned in the circled boxes are the fanspeeds on which the fans are currently running when opening the box.

I never have CPU fan performance mode on.

-A higher PCH temp when writing to the SSD's causes my fans to spin
    -CPU temp of around 55~60c causes the fans to spin
    -and ofcourse non CPU but only GPU load causes the fans to spin.

What Vasudev states is incorrect. See my screenshot below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    not when linus, and own or disown reviewed them. that's already a + considering that with both reviewers all of AW laptops ran hot

raz8020 and Vasudev like this.
  10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    nah he is actually right. My cpu and gpu als spin at that rpm when i put my fan profile on "Balanced". only on "Quit" or "Performance" it spins softer or harder. I can remember that my Alienware 2013/14 17 R5 also had a standard RPM speed of 26 and 2800 rpm (cpu and gpu) and it could ramp up to 4200 RPM for the CPU and 4500 RPM for the gpu. Those speeds are still being used today, which is logicall cause AW has been using the same heatsink manufacturer for how long.

my last year AW 17 r4 also used to spin on 4200 and 4500 MAX rpm and 2600 and 2800 when nothing is happening.