*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I see it as of out of stock...... I jsut checked when you posted the link. (the 15inch)

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I was referring 17" which has more slots.

3. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That unit didnt receive that much coverage. The OP15 started selling after some youtube channels made videos about it It actually started at 1599usd originally.

4. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The M15 got warm just using windows, it wasn't related to max temps, but how it permeated the laptop. As far as max temps, of course the 8300H & 1050 won't top out as high, but as a whole the OP15 keeps the heat away from the user much better than the M15 which is where I was making my comments. With both the M15 and the OP15 at the exact same temperatures, the OP15 is much more pleasant experience when used on your lap or when using the touchpad & kb as far as heat.

I actually tried to cancel the OP15 but it was shipped to me anyway, and I received it after I already returned the M15 so I just decided to try it anyway. Glad I did.

Rei Fukai and Vasudev like this.
  5. eddi3x3x3

eddi3x3x3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey does anyone know if the 2 fans on the m15 are the same model? Also does anyone know the part number? Can it be found online somewhere other than Dell? I noticed that the left fan has a lot more coil whine than the right. I don't think it was always this way and I'm also not sure if the fans can be separated from the heat sink Assembly. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, after a repaste the temps are a LOT more stable (plus undervolt obviously) and I want to reduce the coil whine if possible because I don't think that coil whine was always there.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

6. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hmm are you sure you're not just hearing more motor noise after having moved the fans when you removed the heatsink to repaste? Coil whine is usually generated by fixed inductors isn't it?

Rei Fukai likes this.
  7. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    The noise was there before the repaste. I downloaded a sound meter app on my phone and put the mic next to the fans. I get significantly louder fans on the left side than the right by 15 DB and this is at Max fan speed (performance profile)

8. eddi3x3x3

Reputations:
    Yeah sorry, I'm talking about the fan noise.

9. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    The fans will spin at different speeds depending on whether the GPU or CPU is hotter. The fan on that side will speed up as needed. At least that is how it works on my 15 R3

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    IIRC there was something in the promo material about the two fans being different but I can't seem to find a link.