*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Overpowered laptops are tongfang barebones and run very very hot and also loud with no fans turning off when idle.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But AW also has same issues out of the box and considering the price of Overpowered laptops and 2 years of warranty covering all USA its a sweet deal. You have sd card reader, 2x M.2 SSD PCIe or SATA and one 2.5" HDD at $800-900$.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  3. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well it's probably not what some people want to hear but I am actually enjoying my m15 - been playing Battlefield 1 and now BF V at 60-70 fps at 3440x1440 with a bit of GPU overclock. Sure the fans are running like crazy and it's pumping out enough hot air to make popcorn, but it's stable.

And when it's off my desk and on my lap for a bit of surfing it is IMHO a very nice bit of kit - lovely screen and decent keyboard and trackpad.

I'm sure CES will bring new shiny stuff with great on paper specs but physics hasn't changed - many watts in a small space will be hard to cool...

FXi likes this.
  4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Theyvare worse, not that the m15 is free of tgermal issues. Butbwith ancopper shim it can be fixed. The tongfang cannot.... And the price you mention is of the 1050 model. Thats really poor gpu performance.

5. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Being a member here that swapped from the M15 to the OP15, it sounds like you're just using wishful thinking. The OP15 is fine for the price. There are sacrifices to both laptops, the biggest difference being you're paying more for the sacrifices when you choose the M15.

My OP15 not only runs cooler (largely due to the 8300H & 1050, but where are my options for those on the M15?), but it's lighter and is equally expandable to the M15 as far as internals. Did I prefer the build of the M15? Sure, but at least my laptop doesn't turn into an oven on my lap, it manages heat way better. It didn't even need any "fixing" from that perspective, so not sure what you're talking about.

raz8020, Rei Fukai and Vasudev like this.
  6. Vasudev

Reputations:
    OP 17 priced at 1350$ with 4 year warranty with 2TB HDD,32GB 2667MHz and 256GB SSD https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWE...256-SSD-2TB-HDD-32GB-RAM-Windows-10/887474519
    OP 15 priced at 850$ with 4 year warranty https://www.walmart.com/ip/OVERPOWE...hguid=532743d2-a1e-16809bf31c2ced&athena=true
    I think 1060 is better than 1050.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  7. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Both 8300H and 1050 cannot be compared in terms of thermal perfomance, given the same hardware I'm pretty sure the m15 would perform very well. It's pretty hard to cool a 6/12 i7 and the m15 does a pretty good job in keeping the clock rates high. Keep in mind that is a turbo boost, not regular speed, even desktops can have a hard time with it in itx builds.

8. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They have just slashed the prices it seems but it is also out of stock. Dont expect it to come back. Other tongfang resellers sell the 1060 versions for around 1500usd excl of taxes. And still its an inferior machine.

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    The stock has been replenished.

10. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Ofcourse if you got a low range version of the OP15 it performs cooler. The GPU it is housing in your unit is producing 40~50watt vs a GPU60~70watt 1060GTXGPU. The CPU is also much less demanding in your unit. So thats like a very invalid comparison. I was in the market for a Tongfang barebone a while back because I am in foreign countries for extended times and if my laptop breaks down, i simply cant do my work and I will be in trouble. Thus I was looking for a second laptop which is thinner than my current AW15R3 but offers performance in the same ballpark at least, tested a Tongfang from the Dutch reseller Alternate. but it just was throttling very heavily, very loud as well and the fans never turned off even while idling. Battery life wasnt great (but not a dealbreaker), no TB3 (kinda a dealbreaker) so I returned it. Granted it was about 300 euro's cheaper than a comparable M15 now but still, the performance was hampered, and the case did feel hot with the 1060 and Core I7. It does feel like a better made chassis than any Clevo out there imo. so if they can get the cooling better, add TB3, ditch the mechanical drive for a better battery. They actually would be on my list for a second laptop. So no I am not biased. It was close for being my second laptop. The M15 seems to have a design flaw which I hope AW will fix in later batches. The inductors on the CPU side push the heatsink up and the only fix is a copper shim. A reddit user caught it and I could fix it with a shim on a friend his laptop. The thermals where pretty good for the size after. So yeah I rather would buy an M15 even though that bezel is horrible looking, cheap glossy plastic. But I will wait for the 20XXGTX laptops for now until I buy a new one and who knows. Maybe Tongfang brings something better to the table. Their build quality itself did impress me for the money. Just the heatsink couldnt do what I expect it to do and no tb3.

This is what NBC had to say about the 1060GTX version https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schen...-Tongfang-GK5CN6Z-Laptop-Review.315660.0.html