*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So did some more testing today. Easily able to reproduce after a few minutes of playing a game. So far, ESO, Overwatch, and STO all do the same. After about 1-2 minutes in game, I'm kicked. Doing a 500 count ping test to Google during the same time shows packet loss right around the time of the kick. Funnily enough, I found that I can only experience this and reproduce it if I'm using the USB port right beside the ethernet port. Not using that port? Can't reproduce and stable connection (500 pings). I also noticed my keyboard lights were cutting on and off while using the port, so it may be more of a bad port than anything. Been putting off sitting on the phone with AW as it is, but probably time to suck it up.

c69k and Rei Fukai like this.
  2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Strange man, do you have the latest chipset drivers installed? Also of you have killer installed, delete it and install the software of killer itself. You can find it on the killer website. And you could also to try to delete the driver in device manager and then update it through device manager to see of that helps.

c69k likes this.
  3. TheCloudX

Reputations:
    Yeah, everything is up to date and only Killer drivers installed - no software. Updated Killer directly through Device Manager as Dell showed it up to date. Also tried my USB ports to ensure their drivers were good.

Just spent the last hour with Dell. They didn't go over the ethernet issue much - literally assumed it was due to my system overheating. Did a few tests and confirmed heat issues (shocker). As a doh moment for me, I did forget to disable my undervolt when I called them and they literally said you have great temps. Disabled my undervolt and within minutes he admitted that's not the case. They want to send a tech out to replace my heatsink and fans. Today is my last day to return, which crazy 30 days has flown by. Waiting for the returns department to open up in 2 hours and will see what they can do. Strongly considering going the R4 route if they make a good deal on it.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Dell has already listed
    the m17 in their support page long time ago. Of course it will come. Either with 1080Max-Q or 2080Max-Q graphics. And Dell has talked about welding on a unlocked i9-8950Hk on the MB as well. Expect Hot hardware. Not in the way you think or hope it means.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  5. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Aaaahhh, he was planning this from the beginning ! That's why when i retweeted him with: https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1073619809030426624 he did not react anymore lol

Papusan likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Spartan and Rei Fukai like this.
  7. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lol it sure never does ! You to brother

Papusan likes this.
  8. TheCloudX

Reputations:
    Talked to returns. They have offered to ship out a replacement within a week or refund it outright. Tried to see if we can make a deal on the R4 and they wanted about $450 extra compared to the m15, everything the same except GPU since the R4 has the OC 1070 compared to max-q. Have a call in to a manager, but not optimistic. Leaning towards outright refund and waiting to see what CES has to offer.

9. battousai10k

battousai10k Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looks like the m15 will also be getting a 240 hz display.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  10. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This might sound daft but are you sure the ethernet cable isn't moving at all? I can see how the m15 is too thin for a normal ethernet connector but the solution they have used seems to rely on spring pressure from the flap in the bottom of the case to hold the cable against the pins on the open top socket.

TheCloudX likes this.