*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. dbrown1414

dbrown1414 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, my repair was a success. No idea what exactly happened, but the new motherboard fixed it. The technician was pretty good. It was his first m15, but he said he's worked on other Alienware laptops before. I haven't benchmarked or anything, but he seems to have done a good job with the thermal paste because temps seem lower. I'm glad it's working again.

Vasudev and TheCloudX like this.
  2. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    PCIe 3.0 x4 is equal to PCIe 2.0 X8 which was more than enough for pretty much any card for a long time. It is definitely "good enough" and also "as good as it is going to get" for a laptop anyways so no point in griping over it. As stated, it will not be as fast as a desktop, but if that is what you need than you are in the wrong forum anyways.

rinneh and Vasudev like this.
  3. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, it will be easier to make a decision now.

4. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Honestly, it's all down to what you are looking for. For me, I went with the m15 because of portability. I move it around my house 1-2x a day between my home office and gaming room and then travel with it around the country. While at home and just gaming, I have it set up to use an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I plan to buy the AGA here in the future once the 20** cards stabilize and come down in price some. I'll hook it up to my gaming set up. From my understanding, it's not much bigger than the GPU itself, just wide enough to fit in a PSU and fan. Can easily hide that under a desk or something. That way, I'll get the best of both worlds. A portable laptop and high end gaming while at home. Honestly, I could have just went with the 1060 and achieved the same results, but felt the 1070 had better resale and would last me a tad longer (that 15-20% gain in FPS means nothing today, but 2-3 years from now it will to a degree).

I'm not sure your goal, but this was the ideal solution for me on paper and for the most part, still is. As far as 15 R4 v. m15, they both have their pros/cons. The m15, to me is more appealing due to the portability. However, if you're considering a desktop then that opens up a whole new conversation. Of course, you can build it and save a good amount of money, or go with the prebuilts. One thing I've found as I get older and life keeps me busy, building your own is a heck of a lot of fun and a great feeling, until something goes wrong. I had a dying PC earlier this year that I had built a couple of years ago. Pain in the rear. Prebuilts, just like laptops, elevates this. Again, it's all to what is best for you. One piece of advice, if you go desktop and build it yourself, PCPartPicker is one of the best tools you can use.

FXi and Digits like this.
  5. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    The AGA is the size of a full size shoe box roughly, not terribly small or space efficient for what it houses. Just an FYI

TheCloudX likes this.
  6. NeWCuLTKiNG

NeWCuLTKiNG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I gotta say the 1070 max q undervolts and overclocks pretty good. I have 1712 MHz at 873mv running max 73c on any game I've thrown at it. After lower CPU max boost to 3.7 and undervolt of -135 and accepting it for now max CPU temps are about 86c I am really enjoying my m15.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Digits likes this.
  7. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New issue on my m15 today. Hardwired installed of using wireless, I randomly get kicked out of games. Today I loaded up a game and used CMD to ping Google continuously. After only being online for a few minutes, I was kicked. At the same time, I started seeing lost packets. The PC is plugged directly into my router, as is my wifes computer. She's not having any issues, and changing out cables hasn't resolved it. I did find by manually checking that a new driver was available. Hoping that resolves it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  8. NeWCuLTKiNG

NeWCuLTKiNG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Many new drivers chipset and a thermal framework on Dell site.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

9. Scrublor

Scrublor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It says something about a m17, you think alienware is making a thin version of the aw17 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i wouldn't be happy with that if you see how absymal the current 17 R line runs. The m17 will only be worse, due to it being thinner, and less copper for cooling. Just compare the m15 to the 15 r4, two completely different machines, both run bad from factory. and even with some heavy tuning, people still need to downclock their cpu (or gpu) making you pay not a price for the portability or R&D costs, but for the the privilige of owning a AW product.

c69k likes this.