*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. raiden87

raiden87 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I dont think this is true. If i remember correctly, the limiting factor was also the cable itself which couldnt Transfer more than x4

*EDIT*
    Found this at the Dell m15 website. So i dont think it’s x16

Attached Files:

2. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I called AW support on Monday to see what can be done. The laptop is great except for the keyboard getting so blasted hot - I can even feel the warm air being pushed out through the keys. The rep that answered the phone said she thought it was over heating and that a tech would need to review it with me but that they were to busy at the moment. We set it up for them to call be back last night - which they did not do. I'll try them again tomorrow as I didn't have time tonight. And, I hear ya. I was tempted by those OP's that Bob reviewed. I can return this and buy me and the better half one of those and come out even. Heck of a deal. But, it is Walmart at the end of the day. That 2019 RBS is a great looking machine.

Honestly, I'm just tempted to keep this thing. I debated on the R4. The all black looks great. But, all the reviews mention it's keyboard gets just as hot. So, trading one hot mess for another, and I'd loose the portability. Before the m15 I had stressed over what to get, with buying and returning several different laptops, but now that I finally have one that works well outside of the keyboard getting stupid hot, which wont be an issue 90% of the time, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole again.

billycuth likes this.
  3. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's so funny that UPS hasn't stopped by my office yet to pick that damn M15 up yet. My return period ends December 30th and honestly I might end up keeping it too if it doesn't get picked up today. I work from home on Thursdays and generally get in the office first and I asked the receptionist to put it back in my office if UPS didn't show up yesterday.

I like that machine a lot. It's not quite as portable as I would like, but it is portable enough. Just don't think I'll be taking it with me on cross country flights to do work on the plane. Guess I can always use my crappy company issued Lattitude for that.

I have return dates of Dec 30th, Jan 9th (OP) and Feb 11 (RB15 and RBS2019). This is it.

TheCloudX likes this.
  4. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As others have said, the AGA and so the m15's port only have 4 PCIe lanes.

Are you sure you want to go to the expense of an AGA and GPU with more grunt than the internal one just to pump pixels back into the internal display? Not only will you lose performance as you'll be sending the rendered frames back over the same PCIe lanes as GPU commands but also the onboard GPU seems plenty fast enough to me if you're only running at 1080p.

I'm actually considering an AGA in the future but at the moment I am happy enough with the onboard 1070MQ even at 3440x1440 res.

5. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was considering it for the future as I usually get laptops for 3+ years, but if it's only 4 lanes then I won't even bother with it. If I wanted an external display I would get a desktop and all things considered on the gaming laptop market, I might as well get one as all of them have higher then I'm comfortable with temperatures.
    The AGA port seems like a waste of space for me and something I would have to live with.

6. TheCloudX

TheCloudX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, I can see being on a plane it not being portable enough. A good two in one or 10" tablet is my go to for flights. Especially my tablet. Can download Netflix shows for offline viewing and go to town. Watched half a season of Frasier doing that not long ago lol.

7. cn555ic

cn555ic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The AGA was one of my best investments especially if you pair it up with the top tier cards gtx2080ti or RTX2080ti. It MUST be used with external display however. It traveling with laptop is an issue then your out of luck would have to deal with small form factor of the M15.

8. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I understand, but most likely I won't be using it, I'm still considering whether to get a desktop or the m15/15R4, but it's good to hear other people's opinion. Doesn't the PCIe 4 cause a bottleneck? Are you able to verify the framerate you would get with all 16 lanes?

9. Tweak155

Tweak155 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Some reviews I've come across seem to indicate that even x2 is enough as long as you're using an external display as the extra bandwidth is used to feed the image back into the internal display. Referring to Thunderbolt 3 here.

10. NeWCuLTKiNG

NeWCuLTKiNG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was using an aga with a GTX 1070 in a 17r3 using the internal display. If your looking for a huge improvement over the laptop GPU you will get it if your looking for desktop performance it's close but the desktop will win and if that's what your looking for get a desktop.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk