*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. TriBeard

TriBeard Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think the thing that I've read/heard that makes the most sense to me is that there are some other components interfering with the fitment of the heatsink on the CPU (VRMs or something of the sort, there's a whole reddit thread about it). Perhaps there's more than one supplier for the motherboard and/or heatsink and some people get a combination with issues and some get one without. That would explain why some people have the issue and some don't or why the heatsink swap is helping some but not others. It's frustrating because there's nothing that can really be done about it by the end users until/unless dell figures it out.

My experience with the tech support for alienware was mind numbingly, shockingly bad. Push back, escalate, you should be able to get resolution without sending it to depot. They tried to get me to send it to the depot for a heatsink swap, I pushed back and got the tech to come out (not that it helped in my case). I couldn't find what the screw issue was earlier in the thread, but if it's just missing you can get them on ebay or wherever, they're a relatively standard size I believe. That, or call back to dell and try again, they can definitely send you screws without sending it to the depot. If the problem was something else, then I'm still skeptical that it has to go back to depot but the solution might not be so easy.

2. dbrown1414

dbrown1414 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, the tech is coming out for the motherboard problem. One of the screws on the back is stripped. Not the screw itself or I'd just buy one, but the socket on the frame of the laptop. It came that way and I discovered it trying to troubleshoot the motherboard problem.

3. NeWCuLTKiNG

NeWCuLTKiNG Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Great review, hope to hear anymore info you have for us on the m15. Your overclock is right around where I set mine. The undervolt I leave about -135 as it will start getting weird if I go much more. Did you undervolt the GPU at all? I noticed temps dropped to around 68c after an undervolt with the curve.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4. socarwolverine

socarwolverine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As I understand the issue is that there is no one perfect undervolt setting for all CPUs. Some can take a bit more and some a bit less, so picking one number for all CPUs could lead to a lot of units with instability problems. Easier from a mass manufacturing standpoint to leave everything stock.

Vasudev and Digits like this.
  5. cookinwitdiesel

cookinwitdiesel Retired Bencher

Reputations:
    Similarly, they will pump way more voltage/wattage than is needed for their factory overclock levels.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Papusan likes this.
  6. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, indeed - there's always some process variation and as chip testing is expensive the Intel factory probably won't be doing any more than they need to weed out the duff chips and speed bin them at the nominal operating voltages.

7. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It sounds like you and I are kind of in the same boat. I actually RMA'd mine over a week ago and had it sitting out at the front desk at work to be picked up by UPS. Changed my mind and brought it back home. Then, BOAT showed us this OP 15+ laptop from walmart with a 1060 in it which I got for $699! so I changed my mind again and set the M15 up to get RMA'd back to Dell the other day. UPS still hasn't picked it up and my OP laptop isn't running right. So here I am, indecisive, trying to decide what to do. Meanwhile I've now ordered the new RBS 2019 model and an RB15 base model to test. Best buy is going to think I am nuts, but I really don't care!

You got a warranty on your M15, so you're in a bit of a different spot than me... But I've never had such a hard time making a purchasing decision. I've been through about 8 laptops in a month and can't choose. I'm finding I value portability over raw performance, but I really like the M15 overall. It's just that I don't trust it to last - and for the price, I need it to.

8. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wait, i thought your M15 was picked up by UPS. Also what is the RBS 2019 or RB15?

9. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah I thought it had. But it’s still at my office.

The Razer Blade stealth 2019 model. And the Razer Blade 15 base model. Both $1,599 at Best Buy right now.

10. sharpman

sharpman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I've read on notebookcheck's review that the m15's AGA port uses 16 PCIe lanes, can anyone confirm this? If I remember correctly, the 15R4 used only 4 which could be a bottleneck. Another matter is the fact, that the AGA itself uses a PCIe x8 card to connect to the laptop. Does anyone have any experience with this? I mean getting the external GPU to use on the internal laptop display.

upload_2018-12-20_11-16-59.png