*OFFICIAL* Alienware m15 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Oct 25, 2018.

1. OWNORDISOWN

OWNORDISOWN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just uploaded my m15 review.
    I7 8750h, GTX 1070 max Q
    Repaste liquid metal by Hidevolution

2. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I cant help wondering whether that repaste was a waste of time - I seem to be getting similar temps with just an undervolt / TDP limit...

swordofsilence and OWNORDISOWN like this.
  3. OWNORDISOWN

Reputations:
    I think it was..

billycuth likes this.
  4. Alias

Alias Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Great review!

Only disappointed that the liquid paste repasting from HID seems to have made no difference in the temps from what others are getting..

OWNORDISOWN likes this.
  5. Scrublor

Scrublor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I get similar temps with stock paste....

OWNORDISOWN likes this.
  6. Kuro Kensei

Kuro Kensei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It's not all about paste, unfortunately. If fans, radiators, heatsink, pipes, - the entire solution has a bottleneck, - you are screwed. Pretty sure that's the case. Just from a quick glance at the schematics, I come to conclusion that the heatsink's alignment might be off, the pipes aren't being fully utilized, they are off-center, meaning, a big portion of the die's surface area is unable to pass the heat over to the heatsink fast enough. Other than that, the cooling look ok for the most part. Just my 2 cents here, take it with a grain of salt.

FXi and OWNORDISOWN like this.
  7. OWNORDISOWN

Reputations:
    Thanks! Yes, it seems that others olare reporting the same as me. Some of my viewers have said theirs is fine with stock paste so there seems to be a QA issue with the cooling system I think. Shame.

8. Digits

Digits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    IMHO the cooling system and fan and power profiles don't quite meet the average punter's expectations.

On my machine the cooling seems to be good for ~40W of CPU cooling if the GPU is working hard. Unfortunately the CPU is allowed to draw 90W for upto 28s according to XTU, and this happens before the fans have ramped up in balanced mode. So the CPU hits 100C within a second or two, and then even when the steady state power limit of 75W kicks in, the CPU stays hot, bouncing off the ~95C thermal throttling threshold.

Given the performance limits of the cooling system (which I suspect are constrained by the slimmer form factor) the only real way to keep the temps down is to reduce the CPU power consumption. The dynamic power of a chip is proportional to the square of the supply voltage times the clock frequency, so reducing the voltage is more effective than lowering the frequency. And lowering the voltage also tends to reduce the maximum stable clock speed too.

I suspect though that the CPU isn't guaranteed to work stably at anything below stock voltage levels, so while users can get away with undervolting, Alienware might not want to or even be allowed to undervolt out of the box.

Similarly if they had capped the power too low, the CPU would never hit 3.9GHz and people would moan that the CPU has been hobbled by AW!

So Alienware does have my sympathy but I really don't understand why they can't seem to get the user fan profiles to work - they seem to own both the BIOS and AWCC.

I also don't understand why the CPU seems to burn so much power doing very little - I often see 40W at <30% utilisation according to XTU. I can't imagine any dynamic fan profile can keep up with random spikes at what seems like low CPU load.

FXi likes this.
  9. OWNORDISOWN

Reputations:
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. They don't need as many watts to maintain 3900mhz. The Asus ROG strix Hero 2 maxed at 71 w during CPU work such as an Adobe Premiere render and when the GPU is also being used such as in a game I saw max of 59w and it always maintained the 3900 MHz.
    I think if they capped it at 60w we would be seeing much better temperatures and still have good performance.

Digits likes this.
  10. dbrown1414

dbrown1414 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a technician coming out (hopefully) tomorrow afternoon to replace the motherboard. Pro support had me try removing the SSDs and both/one stick of ram. They said the only way to address the screw would be to send it to a depot. I've heard horror stories about that, so I'll live with it for now. We'll see if the motherboard fixes it.