*OFFICIAL* Alienware M11x Benchmark Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by BatBoy, May 7, 2011.

1. GarTooth

GarTooth Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    more power to you then bro. that is some sweet battery life..

2. nccknight

nccknight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've had the R3 for a little over a year now but I haven't really tried putting it through it's paces until recently and I don't post much on NBR but anyway...

M11X R3, i7, 8gb ram, GT 540M 2gb, 301.42 drivers. I haven't really done much to the system other than disabling most if not all of aero. Getting around 8550 in 3dmark06. Other than OCing the 540M and different drivers I guess there isn't much else I can do to better my scores for everyday use?

I think I broke optimus by installing the 301.42 drivers, at least the tray icon indicating usage went poof.

3. homank76

homank76 Alienware/Dell Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same parts and I score over 10000. Are you using MSI afterburner to play with the 540m?

4. nccknight

nccknight Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No, not yet. I'll be looking into that though when I have more time.

5. Alienware-Luis_Pardo

Alienware-Luis_Pardo Guest

Reputations:
    Did you ever give it a shot?

Just remember to keep an eye on your temperatures as OC the GPU will add up some extra degrees to your card. For heavy over-clocking though I'd recommend you te check your temps even before you start, and if necessary dust it off and re-paste

Alienware laptops: avoid overheating

MSI afterburner 2.2.4

6. DrGoodvibes

DrGoodvibes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    3DMark v1.0

M11xR1 SU7300

Memory Clock: 870
    GPU Clock: 580

Ice Storm: 30248 [Graphics: 55893, Physics:11608]

Cloud Gate: 2668 [Graphics: 5645, Physics:938]

7. infowarrior

infowarrior Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Man i really need to put my r1 through it's paces too, i barely use this thing just for a lighter machine to carry around, and typing in class lol. How much of a difference is it with a ssd compares to a hdd, i mean i've used an ssd for a while but i've haven't updated in a while too lol.

8. dab89

dab89 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hey guys. havent had the chance to read this thread nor do i know if this is the best place to post my question, but was wondering:

do you guys think/recommend i upgrade my m11xr2 4gb to 8gb ram? ive recently intsalled a new SSD and reformatted and its so quiet, no longer overheating and lovely that im thinking of trying to extend its useful life....however with a geforce 335m GPU and a U7300 @ 1.3ghz CPU (nothing OC'ed), im not sure whether RAM would be the biggest bottleneck for my system...

in terms of games im looking to play - nothing new tbh...i love strategy games...so was thinking of getting myself RUSE/Men of War - Assault Squad / Wargame - European Escalation...and obviously replaying my favourite game series of all time - Total War (although not too fussed about Empire/Napoleon tbh).

should i save the £50 for when i get a new laptop? I dont rly mind the expenditure itself as money isnt really an issue..but if im not going to see a vast improvement in those games...just RAM seems to have risen in price from ~ 35 to ~ 50 across the board! in like 1-2 weeks!

9. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you have an U7300 CPU, you wont have an M11x r2, but an m11x r1.
    Upgrading Ram wont give you enough more performance to be worth the money you spend.
    Stay with the 4gb, they should be sufficient.
    I´d recommend you to oc your cpu, there is a bios function (OC to 1.6 or 1.73Ghz), this should improve your performance most. You can also try to oc your CPU further, there is a thread in the forum (just dont know where it is right now ;) )

10. Alienware-Luis_Pardo

Alienware-Luis_Pardo Guest

Reputations:
    Way too different; the SSD won't improve your gaming experience much but your loading/installing times will be much faster. If you play games like WoW (data streaming game) you will notice a slight improvement when moving your camera around for instance.