1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

*Official* Alienware Launch Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Alienware-Luis_Pardo, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basgolfer

basgolfer Newbie

Reputations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cuddles View Post
    Quick question: What's the difference between the 256GB SSD Boot and the 64GB mSATA SSD Caching Harddrive in the Alienware 14?

The 256gb SSD will act as a boot drive giving you fast boot up times and fast access to other applications and software installed on the SSD. Note that you can choose what to install on the 256GB SSD Boot. The 64GB mSATA SSD caching is merely a place where common files that you use a lot are stored. So as you continue to use your computer it will recognize what files are a commonly accessed and move them to the SSD. Note that you do not get to choose what is installed on the caching SSD and your computer will boot from the harddrive. All this really does is let you have quicker access time to commonly used files. Hope this gave you some more insight.

2. ZaDoo

ZaDoo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Only if you instal windows on the SSD. Anything else that is not on a SSD will be slower. Personally I would wait until they go cheaper, then instal a 500GB SSD instal all my programs in the SSD as well. I could use my mechanical hard drive for mass storage space.

3. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    I wonder for games, how many of the crucial game files are moved into the SSD cache to speed up launches.
    It would be tempting to just keep the 64gb mSata as a boot/app only device. Then again if the cache is working really efficiently, it should do a better job over all.

4. Mr. Cuddles

Mr. Cuddles Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you so much ! Very good explanation

5. PCGamer2013

PCGamer2013 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Windows is always installed by Dell on the SSD (if you decided to get it configured with it). The only time it wouldn't be installed is if you do a DIY install afterwards. It seems like the original poster got the quote from Dell installing the drive themselves. The only problem I see with waiting for a larger SSD (like you mentioned) is the price. If people order a system now they probably don't want to wait for months to pass so they get cheaper. I always recommend getting at least a 128 - 258 GB SSD as they are still relatively cheap. That way you can hold out a bit for the prices to drop without suffering a let down in performance in the mean time.

6. Kevinmcg

Kevinmcg Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Yes it will play wow on ultra.

7. Kevinmcg

Kevinmcg Notebook Deity

Reputations:

Yes it will play wow on ultra. You will also want the extra screen resolution of the aw 14 1080p over the 900p too.

8. CSHawkeye81

CSHawkeye81 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So my Dell Rep at my company who handles our EPP orders as well said there is a 20 day lead time for the Alienware 17 laptop.

9. Kevinmcg

Kevinmcg Notebook Deity

Reputations:

How do they not have some of these half built before release so that they can pop in the hdd video cards and cpu and be done?

10. archerarchie

archerarchie Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    agghhh, I hope they can ship the laptops sooner, I'm getting excited once they arrive. I have nothing to put in the vindicator backpack (which they delivered ahead of the laptop).

11. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    LOL your rep wasn't helpful at all. That cold mean anything depending on which Lead Time he was talking about:

Order Lead Time - Time from customer order received to customer order delivered.
    Order Handling Time - Time from customer order received to sales order created.
    Manufacturing Lead Time - Time from sales order created to production finished (ready for delivery).
    Production Lead Time - Time from start of physical production of first submodule/part to production finished (ready for delivery).
    Delivery Lead Time - Time from production finished to customer order delivered.

My hope is that he meant the first one

12. CSHawkeye81

Reputations:
    I think the 20 days is from order to delivery.

13. ZaDoo

ZaDoo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know it taking too long to receive the order. But just think about that moment when the Purolator guy knock on your door with your new laptop. Epic moments.

14. CSHawkeye81

Reputations:
    Well for me its the UPS guy and I am having it sent to my work so I can jump for joy in front of my co-workers.

15. dforce66

dforce66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So does the 64GB mSATA SSD Caching harddrive improve gaming performance? I assume if you play a game a lot it moves there? The SSD boot drive is out of my price range as it requires the processor upgrade too, so I'm trying to determine if the caching drive would be worth the upgrade cost. Thanks!

16. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It'll certainly boost the speed of your normal HDD configuration to near-SSD like speeds. Games should benefit from faster loading times, so yeah - it's gonna be beneficial in that respect. Also, as your OS will be on the HDD, it'll also mean the OS works snappier, too. It's not gonna get you more FPS though, as that's limited by your cpu/gpu combo, with emphasis clearly on gpu.

17. prank1

prank1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just got an email from a Dell rep, he says there is still a delay in sourcing the parts required. He gave me no further information..

18. Kevinmcg

Kevinmcg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I think samsung is having a hard time with their panels :/

19. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Temporarily Unavailable Moderator

Reputations:
    Yup, HDD caching makes a tremendous difference. It's not as fast as a good SATA3 SSD, but it is still very good. It's similar to SATA2 SSD speeds. Here is an example.

20. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ^^^^^ you can never have too much storage, eh? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.