1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

*Official* Alienware Launch Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Alienware-Luis_Pardo, Jun 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alienware-Luis_Pardo

Alienware-Luis_Pardo Guest

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Hey Guys,

Wanted to create an official thread for the new laptops, our staff will be all over it so feel free to chime in with any questions.

I'll be adding the overview comparison sheets soon.

Alienware 2013 launch

Alienware 14

Tech Specs
    Expert Review

Alienware 17

Tech Specs
    Expert Review

Alienware 18

Tech Specs
    Expert Review

FYI

NEW Alienware Vindicator Backpack
    Landing Desktops 2013

**Edit:

-Can't run benchmarks but I'm pretty sure once an official driver is out the scores will be quite different.

-We don't have any news about AMD gpu's yet

-Pre-made configurations are meant to help shorten the ETA on new orders, I don't think that will change much.

-The storage options offered include using the ODD's slot, which means for instance that a 4xSSD config would mean saying goodbye to your ODD (not a big deal for most of us anyway)

-Keyboard ghosting: I'll bring some games tomorrow to test it, I'll update it then.

-Nameplates no longer include customized text, they include the laptop's model as well as the GPU(s) and CPU.

**Edit 2:

Finally got all the screen model specifics

Alienware 14
    14.0 inch (355.6 mm) WLED HD (1366 x 768) Anti-Glare Display TN 200 Nit Display (Standard)
    14.0 inch (355.6 mm) WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare IPS 300Nit Display

Alienware 17
    17.3 inch (439.42 mm) WLED HD+ (1600 x 900) Anti-Glare TN 220 Nit Display (Standard)
    17.3 inch (439.42 mm) WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare TN 300 Nit Display
    17.3 inch (439.42 mm) 120Hz WLED FHD (1920 x 1080) TrueLife TN 400 Nit Display w/3D Bundle

Alienware 18
    18.4 inch (467.36 mm) WLED FHD (1080p) TrueLife PLS 350 Nit Display (1920 X 1080) (Standard)

Anti-glare is available where noted and provides a matte, non-reflective finish to the display (different than our old systems)

Edit 3:

Keyboard looks good so far, tried Skyrim and FC3 for keyboard ghosting purposes and the response was very good (all keys recognized regardless of the combination and amount of keys I tried to press at the same time).

Edit 4:

Here's some info on the screens, hope it helps.

Alienware 14

14.0" HD - TN 1366x768
    Luminance 200/170
    Contrast 400:1
    Color Gamut 45%

14.0" FHD - IPS 1920x1080
    Luminance 300/255
    Contrast 700:1
    Color Gamut 72%

Alienware 17

17.3" HD+ - TN 1600x900
    Luminance 220/185
    Contrast 300:1
    Color Gamut 60%

17.3" FullHD - TN 1920x1080
    Luminance 300/250
    Contrast 500:1
    Color Gamut 72%

17.3" FullHD 120Hz 3D - TN 1920x1080
    Luminance 400/340
    Color Gamut 72%

Alienware 18

18.4" FullHD - PLS 1920x1080
    Luminance 350
    Color Gamut 72%

2. ICNMatt

ICNMatt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ah excellent. Good timing.

First question:

Surely someone at AW has benchmarked the 780m?

NotebookMag.com has tested it and only got 5600 on 3Dmark11. Thats loads less than the 680m as standard...

Bad driver? Early release product? Battery save?

Second question:

Can you confirm whether AMD GPU's will arrive soon? If they do, will they have 3 outputs for external monitors?

Third question:

Will upgrading be available from base models at some point soon? On the website currently, if you want 780M SLI you need to start off with the £2500 version. I don't need the hybrid HDD or any other extra bits as I will take my SSD's out of my current M18x R2.

3. SpartanJet

SpartanJet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can you let us know if some of the screens are IPS. The "tech specs" are lacking in information on the screen type and there have been several articles online with conflicting information.

I'm very interested in the Alienware 17" if it comes with an IPS screen!

4. stomkin

stomkin Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am also really interested in the screens, particularly info on color gamut. I would be using the 17 for a mix of work (Photoshop) and play, and reasonable color accuracy is important to me. Also curious about the suitability of the "anti glare" displays for working outside (not in direct sunlit, obviously).

5. Cloudfire

Cloudfire (Really odd person)

Reputations:
    I agree with Spartan: The screen in M17x, is it IPS or is it just a normal LED display?

Engadget says that both M14x, M17x and M18x are IPS.

Kinda a big deal to get confirmed really

6. unityole

unityole Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wanna know how many storage bay are in this machine. on alienware.com stated 4x256gb SSD but not including optical drive so ODD is replaced by SSD. but theres still the msata slot, that makes it 5 which is same as m18x R2. R3 doesn't have esata port anymore so is that slot being used somewhere inthe machine? maybe dual msata? or perhaps five 2.5" slot bay?

heatsink, CPU heatsink remains unchanged but GPU changed from triple pipe to dual pipe. the dual pipe seems much wider does it cool better now? or overall the same? in the youtube video doesn't show HDD bay or optical bay or msata slot clearly.. need to see those badly.

7. gonzorito

gonzorito Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    What is the keyboard in this thing. That is what I really want to know...can I push 3 primary keys in the WASD space / shift group without ghosting.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

8. Kevinmcg

Kevinmcg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hmph suprising, over chat i was able to hagle down a 1499 system down to 1399 and get the 5% gift card. Not bad for Day one.
    i7 4700MQ
    8GB
    750GB
    GTX 765M
    1080P
    $1399 + Tax then the 5% eGift Card

Note this is on the 14.

9. widezu69

widezu69 Goodbye Alienware

Reputations:
    The main question everyone wants answered is what the situation is with the displays. Are they IPS or not?

Also I think we should start calling these laptops by their actual names. There is no more M or X it's just 17. I'm using AW 17.

Also with the SSD situation I reckon it's 2 bays plus ODD plus mSATA that achieves the 4x SSD status.

10. dkris2020

dkris2020 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Will the gift card deal be available soon with these laptops?

11. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    At a guess they may have moved the sata III onto the msata port, no more slowdowns on SSD RAID's. Don't know about haswell but on the R4 sata III is restricted to 6 ports and the fast USBs use them as well.

12. Kevinmcg

Kevinmcg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was able to get the 5% eGift Card

13. Kevinmcg

Kevinmcg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was able to get the 5% eGift Card over chat/phone.

14. ahappypie

ahappypie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This. I also have this question. Maybe Dell doesn't realize we only buy processors, screens and graphics cards from them. I'm going to give a call to a rep, hopefully a phone conversation will lead to more customization options.

15. widezu69

Reputations:
    Actually the R4 only had 2 SATA III ports. The USB ports are on headers that are independent to the SATA operation. Haswell has 6 SATA III ports which means that all devices can operate at the top speeds.

16. Saint Satan

Saint Satan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Damnit I wish I haggled. I just spent $5,200 on...

Alienware 18
    4.3Ghz
    Dual 780m SLI
    32GB Ram
    512 SDD + 750GB
    Blu-Ray
    Windows 8 Pro

Hopefully it will be worth it. :D

What was your estimated date? It said July 2nd on the site but after I ordered it said July 3rd.

17. MickyD1234

MickyD1234 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hmm, I read that USB3 and sata III share, and that my CPU supports 6 as well. With the 4 fast USB's and the two drive bays there wasn't a III port (on the chipset) left for the msata?

18. widezu69

Reputations:
    I could be wrong but it is my understanding that USB is independent from SATA. Hence Ivy Bridge systems having 2 SATA III, one SATA II for the ODD and one mSATA II.

I really hope that the Wireless HD is implemented properly. The current gen has had nightmares getting stuff to work properly especially on nvidia.

19. Kevinmcg

Kevinmcg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My EDD is 7/19/13. However on the site it says 7/2/13. Note i got 2nd day shipping on mine as well.

Haggling would have done you well. You have a lot of upgrades they probably coulda taken 250-500 off.

20. destinationsky

destinationsky Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    it is possible to have more usb 3 than the 6 from haswell. In desktops you can just put a pci card, which could be done to free up 4 sata lll connectors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.