*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Ricardo51m

Ricardo51m Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, excuse me, my English, I only speak Spanish.
    I have been trying to solve my problem for days I have read hundreds of forums even without a solution, I have a graphics amplifier that I bought new on ebay, the model is z01g and I have a laptop alienware area 51m R2 core i7 10700 ram 2933 bios capped I do not have access to options advanced, the bios of the laptop is updated to the latest version. when i connect the amplifier with a gtx 1660 or nvidia card the amplifier works as it should. you turn on the cable and it is detected in the task manager. so i decided to buy an asus tuf rx6800xt but it was disappointing to learn that it doesn't work with my graphics amp. the graphics card does not turn on and the cable does not turn on. the graphics amplifier does not detect the amd card, only the usb ports work. if the card does not turn on there is no way for the task manager to detect it. AGA works for others with the rx6800xt. I don't know what happens. No solution from this forum or from other forums has worked for me. I attach 2 videos where I teach the operation of the aga with nvidia and amd.

Nvidia video card running AGA
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1x06ymzvxu2vDUrQNe5q2HOqESbQzjLhy/view?usp=drivesdk

AMD video card not detected by AGA
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zmjo8WO6ri-D9U92H8IhE3erHHF3H1HK/view?usp=drivesdk

the rx6800xt was tested on another system and it works perfectly. I need help. the AGA refuses to turn on my 6800xt
    Thank you

2. Ricardo51m

Ricardo51m Newbie

Reputations:
    The asus tuf 6800xt does not work for me in the graphics amplifier, how did you do it?

3. turbocat

turbocat Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Long shot but have you tried switching the cable ends so it's the other way, on the aga cable. I read somewhere that this helped someone back in the day. Might be worth a shot

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

4. Ricardo51m

Ricardo51m Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for your help . I will try this solution today then I report results

Fire Tiger likes this.
  5. Pollen

Pollen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It initially didn't work for me at first, I re-installed alienware command centre (as that is where the AGA drivers are) and turned on the laptop with the AGA plug NOT plugged into laptop then plugged AGA plug into the already running laptop and It recognized It (LED on the cable will turn white but the LED is on the under side of the cable with the Area 51m so you need to look underneath the LED) Then restart the laptop with it all plugged in.

Anyway I've wiped my Area 51m now to sell and make a desktop but I'm 50/50 might keep it yet, If I do I'll have to get It up and running again and make note of what I do exactly and let you know.

6. Pollen

Pollen Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah that's exactly how i did it pretty much > open ACC > go into the fx tab > plug the aga cable into laptop with aga plugged into power and on > leave it a minute or two > restart laptop > download and install drivers > viola.

Did it today again worked first time.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  7. lowengrim

lowengrim Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi All, just to share some positive findings.
    I have an AGA connected to my Alienware Area 51M R2, currently running the ASUS RTX 3080 TI OC 12 GB.
    It was an out of the box plug and play.
    Put the graphic card, plugged in power. Power on the AGA, power on the laptop and installed latest NVIDIA driver from the NVIDIA experience.

Then had this on device manager:
    Devive Manager.jpg

AGA ASUS TUF OC 12GB RTX 3080 TI.jpg

Now just some history:

1- the PSU is a different one, it is an EVGA 1000 P6 full modular that I had; the position of the power cable did not fit so I placed it a bit inside the AGA using long screws (as you can see) and a cable like this: CERRXIAN 7.5In 20CM IEC 320 90 Degree C13 3 Pin Female to C14 3 Pin Male PDU Power Supply Extension Cord (find in web);
    2- the FAN is also not the original one as I changed it - many videos and other explanations if you search for it.
    The card is not overclocked it is on the normal settings.

I am not a techie, I have no clue what the difference is to the laptop 2080 Super, but I can tell you that the experience in my external screen is very very smooth.
    The AGA works very very silent and the GPU goes from 20ºC to 37-38ºC when I play EVE Online - only game I am into...

Just wanted to share for all of you unhappy with the way Alienware destructed our upgrade dream on both Area 51M and the now extinct AGA.

The 3080, 3080TI and the 3090 do work with no issue.

Lowengrim

Crazy Jay likes this.
  8. lowengrim

Reputations:
    I also took out the lateral metal brackets. They not needed, top of AGA just screwed to base by the 4 frontal screws.
    They give more space for cards longer than 310 mm.

Lowengrim

9. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As info, looking at your device manager, your dGPU 2080 SUPER is throwing an error. I think it's disabled. You can verify by unplugging the AGA and see if you're using the iGPU or dGPU.

Did you install the 3080ti driver or the one for your laptop 2080 SUPER? Granted, none of this may matter if all you use is the AGA.

10. lowengrim

Reputations:
    So when I started the laptop with the AGA on, in device manager I had something like "Microsoft standard adapter" showing as extra to CPU and 2080.
    Then I went to the nvidia experience and there was a message to update the driver.
    It installed it.
    When rebooting what you see there is what showed.

It is still like that, and yes, I only use with the AGA now.
    Only the 3080 is reported.

With the 2080 my monitor (LG 34GN850-B) was at 144 MHZ - (3440-1440) and smooth.
    With the AGA, same, but I feel it smoother somehow.
    Maybe just psychologic...
    :)