*OFFICIAL* Alienware "Graphics Amplifier" Owner's Lounge and Benchmark Thread (All 13, 15 and 17)

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by Mr. Fox, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Gumwars

Gumwars Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I believe the AGA is PCI Express x4 Bus #109. The USB hub that is attached to the AGA isn't what we're interested in, though it does validate that the port on the laptop is necessarily working. Our curiosity is that your laptop doesn't 'see' the GPU.

Have you checked your connections in the AGA? Made sure the power connections are good and that the card is seated?

2. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    Yes, I have made sure the GPU is seated correctly and powered (thankfully, there's a test button on the PSU that allows me to check that).

3. Gumwars

Reputations:
    So, we have basically the same laptop in a different form factor. My AGA startup is always from cold, but I have connected it hot just to see what would happen. Occasionally I'll get a BSOD but most of the time it works. Have you tried connecting it with the laptop on?

4. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    I have tried connecting it both when my laptop was on and off. No BSOD, no prompt telling me to restart for the eGPU to work when the laptop was on and connected to the AGA.
    Funny enough, the USB Hub connects just fine regardless of what state the laptop is in. The fact that the BIOS doesn't detect the GPU and the cable light doesn't turn on worries me, but I'm not sure if my laptop is the problem, the cable is the problem, or that a new PCIe device (the RX 6600 XT) is the issue.

5. Gumwars

Reputations:
    I missed that you have an AMD GPU. That's likely the culprit right there. I've read the newer Navi 2 GPUs are quirky. Do you have a team green GPU sitting around you can test with?

6. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    I do not. Would be nice to have a comparable Nvidia and AMD GPU with me, but my wallet isn't paying scalper prices.
    I guess I'll just use the AGA as a USB hub for the time being then.

Gumwars, etern4l and Papusan like this.
  7. Gumwars

Reputations:
    Okay, that PCI Express x4 Bus #109 is your AGA. If the card is initialized it will appear under that part of the device tree.

There is another user that frequents reddit and is occasionally here as well, though I do not know what their username is on this forum. I'd recommend hopping on reddit and looking for the owner of this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Alienware/comments/k31mmy/alienware_graphics_amplifier_works_with_amd/

They got the AGA working with a RX6800. They are rocking an A51 R2, but I would imagine they could help you sort your issue out.

8. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    That's if I have a reddit account, but it's alright. I'm in no hurry to resolve this problem. Reading through the threads, my problem seems to be something worse since the GPU doesn't want to appear in the BIOS, indicating that the BIOS doesn't know what card is in there. And, sure, it could be that it has two BIOSes, but I did get an RX 5700 with dual BIOS to work in the AGA once (it was a pain, though), so I'm a bit skeptical that's it either.
    Still, thank you for your help. At least I know the AGA port on my laptop isn't busted. If a new BIOS rolls around for the m15, I'll return to this problem.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Gumwars

Reputations:
    The AGA really seems to work best with Nvidia, owning primarily to the dGPU baked onto the laptop motherboard. Did you try booting a Linux thumbdrive?

10. Game7a1

Game7a1 ?

Reputations:
    I have not. I'll look into booting from Linux at a later date.